Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior User Experience (UX) Designer - Robotics
Toyota Research Institute
Los Altos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and Robotics.
The Robotics UX team comprises User Experience (UX) and Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) designers, researchers, and engineers, and is spread across TRI’s Los Altos, CA and Cambridge, MA offices. We develop novel methods for human-robot interaction in both the home and factory environments, and contribute directly to the design of robot prototypes for both research and applied projects.
We are looking for a Senior UX Designer to join the Robotics User Experience and Interaction Design (RUX-ID) team in our Los Altos, CA office! The ideal candidate has extensive interaction/UI design experience as well as experience in UX research, conducting generative and evaluative research. This role will require flexibility and the desire to work equally in the UX research and design spaces.
You will initially focus on our factory robotics initiative in both a research and design capacity. Based on the specifics of a project, you will design both screen-based interfaces and in-person interactions between robots and users, and conduct user research to assess the system’s usability and intuitiveness. You will also collaborate on the team’s other robotics projects, which are located in our Cambridge, MA office.
TRI’s Robotics division builds exciting, cutting edge robotics capabilities. In this role, you will help translate user needs into impactful robotics applications, and shape the future of human-robot interaction design.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in HCI, Interaction Design, or a related field, and 8+ years of industry experience.
- Able to work independently on both high-level and low-level tasks, with minimal guidance. Able to demonstrate leadership within collaborative projects.
- Portfolio that demonstrates the user-centered design process and includes UI prototypes of varying fidelity. Experience leading large product design efforts from concept to maturity.
- Fluent in Figma, with mastery of best practices and features. Able to design user interfaces, prototypes, presentations, “pixel perfect” visual design specs, etc., and the willingness to crosstrain/mentor team members.
- Experience conducting generative research in a broadly scoped subject area, distilling insights and user needs, and conveying the results and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience conducting evaluative research on UI prototypes and making updates to the design based on the results.
- Proficiency working closely and harmoniously with engineers; able to advocate for the best design approach while remaining open to discussion and compromise, when needed.
- Experience seeking out and developing new UX design and research opportunities that are in line with the team’s mission within the organization. Ability to demonstrate the value of UX deliverables and contributions to engineering teams.
- Comfortable in a collaborative, interdisciplinary team environment with excellent visual, verbal, and written communication skills; comfortable receiving and incorporating constructive feedback.
- Able to travel domestically 4-6 times per year. Occasional international travel may be required.
- Experience designing interfaces for a physical device, such as a robot.
- Desire to cultivate a UX Design culture among an interdisciplinary team.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $149,040 and $214,245/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.