Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Platform Research Systems Integration Intern
Toyota Research Institute
Los Altos, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformation in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials (E&M), Machine Learning, and Robotics.
This is a Summer 2024 paid 12-week internship opportunity. Please note that this internship will be an in-office role.
As an Intern position of Systems Integration Engineer at TRI, you will play a vital role in gaining hands-on experience in integrating various systems, encompassing mechanical, electrical, and embedded software components. This internship offers an opportunity to collaborate with our team members and cross-functional teams, contributing to the seamless integration of systems and enhancing your engineering skills.
The Platform Research team is responsible for exploring revolutionarily fast ways of vehicle system design and the hardware integration to accelerate the software research to provide safer and more fun-to-drive cars quickly. Our goal is to be a pilot case of developing hardware platforms that fully support a real “Software First” methodology by providing a fast-moving hardware integration method and unified architecture that can rapidly test new concepts through rapid development and novel experiments.
The Platform Research team has Vehicle Platforms, Motion Simulator and Unified Architecture. Vehicle Platforms are full-size test vehicles with various sensors and HMIs. These will discover and build platforms that open up novel research in vehicle chassis, vehicle control, human-machine interaction and platform development infrastructure. Motion Simulator is a driving simulator with a full-size cockpit with 6DOF actuation and a 270-degree screen, which can empower human-factors researchers, psychologists, cognitive scientists, and UX researchers to iterate on ideas at previously impossible pace and fidelity.
TRI is currently looking to hire Mechatronics Engineering Interns who will play a crucial role in the envisioning, designing, and development of research platforms. As a valued member of our integrated engineering team, you will collaborate closely with various other TRI teams to create innovative solutions. Your involvement will span across all stages of development, allowing you to be part of a dedicated group of engineers who contribute to the successful execution of engineering projects and programs. During your internship, you will gain hands-on learning experiences, exposure to a global perspective, valuable networking opportunities, and access to professional development resources. Working alongside industry experts, you will have the chance to contribute to initiatives that enhance your technical skills. Additionally, you will benefit from exceptional mentorship and growth prospects that will advance your career to new heights.
- Assist in the design and integration of mechanical, electrical, and embedded software systems.
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary teams to learn and address integration challenges.
- Proactively engage in self-improvement and skill development, staying updated with the latest technologies and industry best practices.
- Approach tasks with enthusiasm and a commitment to achieving project objectives while fostering a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Communicate effectively with team members and other departments, promoting an open-minded and cooperative work environment.
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving integration issues, contributing to the overall product quality.
- Document integration processes, procedures, and outcomes for future reference and improvement.
- Contribute to the continuous enhancement of our integration processes and methodologies.
- Currently pursuing a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience working with CAD, Solidworks is preferred.
- Familiarity with the safety-critical system design process (FMEA, FTA) is a bonus.
- Familiarity with C++, Python, MATLAB/SIMULINK, Network (Ethernet/CAN) is a plus.
- Knowledge of ROS or other relevant programming skills is a bonus.
- A strong interest in gaining experience in the integration of mechanical, electrical, and embedded software systems.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and a strong desire for continuous learning and skill development.
- An eager and humble attitude with a commitment to contributing to project goals.
- An open-minded and adaptable approach to problem-solving.
- Good communication skills with the ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams.
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting aptitude.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $45 and $65/hour for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package including vacation and sick time. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.