Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Human-Centered AI ML Intern
Toyota Research Institute
Software Engineering, Data Science
Los Altos, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in human-centered AI, energy and materials, machine learning, and robotics.
This is a Summer 2024 paid 12-week internship opportunity. Please note that this internship will be a hybrid in-office role.
This internship opportunity falls within the Human-Centered AI Division (HCAI). We are an integrated team of ML researchers, behavior scientists, and human-computer interaction experts. At the core of our work, we aim to support people to make better decisions by leveraging the best of big data, technology, and insights about why we do what we do.
The Future Product innovation (FPI) team is an interdisciplinary team of researchers working at the intersection of generative artificial intelligence (AI), design, engineering, and creativity. Our mission is to accelerate design and engineering processes in the automotive industry. Our research works on creating realistic designs, prototypes, and simulations for vehicles as well as automotive components. This includes generating 2D designs as well as 3D models.
We are looking for an intern with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Generative AI for image, text or 3D modalities
- Large language models
- General ML expertise in computer vision and NLP, with an interest in generative model
- Computer graphics expertise is a plus, but not required
- Experience with simulation and optimization of physical systems is also a plus, but not required
We will match the intern with mentors based on their experience. Over the course of the project, in addition to Future Product Innovation group meetings, the intern will also participate in all Human-Centered AI division meetings. The intern will be exposed to how interdisciplinary industrial research works as well as learn from our team and the other interns in our division. Furthermore, the intern will engage in strategy discussions about how their research connects to business impact at Toyota.
- Scope the project to align to the core research efforts
- Be the primary driver of the technical plan (e.g., model development, conduct experiments on datasets) with regular feedback from mentors
- Execute the project using TRI resources
- Present the project’s approach and findings in verbal and written communications
- Our goal is that you end the summer with work that is publishable in an academic journal or conference
- Enrolled in a PhD program
- Track record of executing research projects, including publications at top conferences
- Desire to work on challenging open-ended research projects
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously while soliciting feedback
Please add a link to Google Scholar and include a full list of publications when submitting your CV to this position.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $45 and $65/hour for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package including vacation and sick time. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.