Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
XR Research Scientist
Toyota Research Institute
Los Altos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and Robotics.
The Human Interactive Driving team seeks to accelerate the path to building a much more intelligent vehicle that places humans at the center of a more evocative and safer driving experience.
We are seeking someone who can work across disciplines to build innovative vehicle interface prototypes that integrate vehicle controls and hardware components. And lead the implementation of VR/AR technologies to improve the interaction with vehicle prototypes.
- Develop XR (Extended Reality: Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality, and Virtual Reality) systems for a vehicle.
- Implement sensor fusion between vehicle and XR devices to achieve stable registration of virtual objects.
- Develop real-time 3D contents that react to sensor inputs from a vehicle.
- Working with an engineering team to integrate the XR systems into an existing ROS2 environment.
- This role requires a candidate to be on-site. Additionally, the position involves monthly travel to a race track in order to test the vehicles.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience developing XR applications.
- Experience developing 3D graphics using Unreal Engine/Unity/OpenGL.
- Deep understanding of 3D & 2D mathematics and rendering technologies.
- Strong skills in Python, C++, and development tools in Linux.
- Good software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, code style conformity, and code review.
- Ability to debug hardware and software interface from both software and hardware perspectives.
- Working knowledge of software development using ROS2.
- Experience in HMI or human-factor-related projects.
- Experience in raw sensor data handling for automotive or robotics fields.
- Basic knowledge of machine learning algorithms and computer vision.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $151,800 and $210,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.