Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Software Engineer
Toyota Research Institute
Los Altos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and Robotics. As a Full-Stack Software Engineer at Toyota Research Institute, you will help all our research teams by developing front-end and back-end software in diverse environments so that the team can focus on their research domains.
Our team seeks to reduce the gap between pure research and usable software solutions that embody innovative capabilities to ease their adoption by Toyota product teams worldwide.
We welcome you to join a unique team - DNA (Discover, Nurture & Adopt). Our mission is to enable innovation and transformation at Toyota by building a bridge between TRI research and Toyota products, services, and needs. We achieve this through partnership, collaboration, and shared commitment.
We are looking for someone who is a versatile full-stack engineer to join our team. As a full-stack engineer, you will be responsible for the entire software development lifecycle, from design and architecture to implementation and testing. You will work with engineers to build and maintain our company's web applications and services.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and other partners to understand and translate project requirements into technical specifications.
- Develop and maintain robust, scalable, and efficient web applications using modern frameworks and technologies.
- Design and develop RESTful APIs and back-end services to support application functionality and data integration.
- Write clean, well-documented, and efficient code while adhering to established coding standards and best practices.
- Conduct thorough testing, debugging, and troubleshooting to identify and resolve software defects and performance issues.
- Collaborate with other team members in code reviews, sharing knowledge, and providing technical guidance.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and standard methodologies to continually enhance technical skills and propose innovative solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 5+ years of Software development in industry or academia.
- Solid comprehension of server-side programming languages and frameworks (e.g., Node.js, Python, Ruby on Rails, .NET).
- A strong portfolio of completed projects.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., git) and agile development methodologies.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with a proven track record of working optimally in a team environment.
- Experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving multi-functional and/or cross-business projects.
- Occasional travel (<10%) may be requested to support technology adoption goals.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $184,000 and $264,500/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.