Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Hardware Engineer
Toyota Research Institute
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and Robotics.
As a Senior Hardware Engineer on the Prototyping and Research Operations (PROps) team, you will partner with research teams across TRI to design, build, and test novel prototypes as a part of TRI’s research mission. You will use your knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems to nurture projects in the design phase and see them through to completion in building and testing. On the PROps team, your work across TRI’s teams will allow you to inform processes and programs run by our team to accelerate research and development for Toyota. To thrive in this role beyond your technical skills, you must be self-directed, able to mentor and lead a diverse team of operations specialists and engineers, and use your organizational skills as a tool to guide open-ended projects to completion.
- Lead hardware development initiatives on the PROps team and contribute to the design and development of TRI’s research projects, focusing primarily on robotics.
- Produce documentation for the assembly, manufacturing, and function of designed systems.
- Participate in field test events to evaluate system performance and prepare and deliver reports on test results.
- Develop prototypes and perform studies to identify and specify key system components, including sensors and actuators.
- Design, bring up, and debug custom electrical sub-systems, including power systems, motor control and sensor interfaces, and the overall electrical system.
- Mentor junior engineers and staff, and facilitate programs to develop and foster technical growth on the PROps team.
- Partner with internal stakeholders, external vendors, and contractors to develop, fabricate, and assemble advanced systems and subsystems.
- B.S. or higher in an engineering-related field.
- A proven track record designing and integrating hardware for real-world robotic systems.
- Experience in creative and novel design work, along with the integration of mechanical, control, and sensing systems, including various fabrication techniques and materials.
- The ability to design and deploy integrated mechanical/sensing systems that complement and bring to bear advanced software and learning algorithms.
- Experience designing for small scale contract manufacturing and assembly, and working with industrial designers for early stage product design.
- An outstanding teammate with strong interpersonal skills, including prior leadership experience.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time, both international and domestic.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.