Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Emergency Response Advisor
Health Safety Environment and Security
Job Family Group:
October 23, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Integrated Gas and Upstream
About the role
The Emergency Response Advisor is integral to the delivery of Shell MDS’ Goal Zero ambition and commitment. You will nurture the SMDS Culture of Lead with Courage, Make it Happen and Make it Better that will drive the site to Best in Class performance as the World’s Leading Gas-to-Liquids Specialties facility. You will be responsible for coordinating and conducting emergency response activities, training, maintenance and testing of Emergency Preparedness systems and hardware (infrastructure and equipment). You are responsible to coordinate and promptly respond to incidents, major emergencies, and disasters. You will also provide guidance & coaching to staff & contractor partners to sustain high levels of awareness and vigilance of emergency response. You will also deliver the role of technical and strategy High Angle and Confined Space Entry Rescue and is expected to acquire and maintain a thorough working knowledge of Integrated Health and Safety Policies, HSE Job Procedures as well as applicable government laws and regulations and Industry Recommended Practices. You are accountable to effectively manage and run all of Shell MDS’ Fire-Fighting facilities and physical assets, ensuring readiness and high performance of the equipment for immediate use. Assist on the management of Emergency Response & Fire Fighting across the site and support correspondent with local authorities, government body and neighboring facilities with respect to emergency response.
Where you fit in
You will report to the Emergency Response Supervisor. Your role holds accountability to assist on the management of Emergency Response & Fire Fighting across the site as well manage correspondence with local authorities, government bodies and neighboring facilities with respect to emergency response. This role also provides support in managing and maintaining high availability of Life Saving Critical equipment’s in Shell MDS for use in emergencies. This role also stands in for ER Supervisor when required.
1. Establish and maintain Emergency Response Plans and Procedures for Emergency Incident scenarios associated with Hazards in the yellow and red areas of the RAM as specified in Managing Risk.
2. Develop and maintain a fit for purpose ER organization to handle all Tier 1 emergencies that is also able to work in Tier 2 and Tier 3 scenarios.
3. Establish, equip, and maintain Emergency Response Centre that meets the needs of the Emergency Response Team.
4. Maintain coordination with relevant authorities and industry group including Mutual Aid Groups that provide support during Emergencies.
5. Assist in ensuring the ever-readiness of ER organization and SMDS Fire Station (in terms of vehicles, equipment, and manpower) to effectively respond to any/all emergencies in a safe, controlled, and timely manner.
6. To ensure activity alignment of coordination and response to all technical rescue, medical, and HAZMAT calls as well as demonstrate knowledge and competency in firefighting equipment and strategies.
7. To planning schedule and record training for Emergency Response Teams, including fire and safety, rescue, and firefighting training programs.
8. To conduct emergency exercises and drills as per the approved emergency exercise schedule, analyze drill procedures and results, in addition to participating in safety and fire awareness programs and campaigns as required.
9. ERT focal point to share knowledge and expertise related to fire engineering, fire risk and emergency response to internal stakeholder.
10. Ready to be called after off-duty to support operations related matters or during major emergency incident at SMDS and be part of Incident Management Team (IMT).
What we need from you
• Possess a certificate or Diploma in Fire Science from Fire & Rescue Academy.
• Bachelor degree in the relevant field with minimum of 5 years experience.
• Proven experience in emergency services, preferably in Oil & Gas/petrochemical plants.
• Exposure to line management as Leader of Teams with proven leadership track record in
• Demonstrate knowledge of BOMBA & DOSH requirements, BOMBA Act and OSHA Act and
Standards, especially in the application of fire and safety equipment.
• Experience conducting firefighting, Confined Space and Rescue training.
• Experience in demonstrating excellent communication skills and building relations with
• Certifications as NFPA 472 HazMat technician, and NFPA 1006 high angle technician
considered an asset.
• Experience in Emergency Response and industrial firefighting field.
• Certification as a service technician for breathing apparatus is considered an asset.
• Working knowledge of industrial firefighting apparatus and foam generation equipment.
• Good knowledge in fire risk in Oil and Gas plant.
• Good level of physical fitness is mandatory.
• Good computer skills and ability to use Microsoft applications
Shell has been a partner in powering Malaysia’s progress since 1891 when we established our first depot in the Straits Settlements. Today, we are an integrated energy company comprising Upstream, Downstream, Integrated Gas and New Energies, Projects & Technology, and Shell Business Operations. Shell Malaysia aims to be the leading energy player in the country, powering Malaysia’s future with cleaner, innovative, and competitive energy solutions.
More than a century, Shell has been operating and we continue to extract and deliver oil and gas efficiently, profitably, and in environmentally friendly and socially responsible ways to meet evolving customer needs and the growing demand for energy.
With over 950 service stations, Shell has the leading market share in the fuels retailing business in Malaysia. In Malaysia, we make and sell more than 600 different lubricants for the automotive sector, heavy-duty transport, food processing and power generation. We are the lubricants market leader in Sabah and Sarawak.
- Integrated Gas, Renewables and Energy Solutions
Shell set out its Powering Progress strategy, which we aim to deliver through our three business pillars of Growth, Transition and Upstream. The Growth Pillar includes our Marketing and Renewables & Energy Solutions businesses and focuses on working with our customers to accelerate the transition to net-zero emissions. One of our achievement, Sarawak onshore: World’s first commercial GTL plant (SMDS)
- Project & Technology
As P&T, we exist to make the delivery of Shell’s strategy and the growth of our company possible. P&T works collaboratively and in an integrated way with its business partners, to deliver value for our customers, and for Shell.
- An Innovative Place to Work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
- An Inclusive & Progressive Place to Work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- A Rewarding Place to Work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.