Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Where you fit in
In this Legal Counsel role, you will provide legal support to Shell Trading & Supply’s business in Japan (Shell Energy Japan). Shell Energy Japan acts as Shell’s marketer and trader of electricity and renewable electricity certificates to wholesale and business-to-business customers in Japan. In addition, you will support Shell’s Downstream and Renewables business in Japan (with a strong focus on supporting the renewable generation business (which is developing solar and wind (onshore & offshore) projects in Japan) as well as providing support to other parts of the renewable business (including the sale of energy solutions to customers and legal support to the recently acquired Nagaoka gas-fired power plant) and to Shell’s Lubricants business in Japan.
The role is based in Tokyo. You will report to the Associate General Counsel, Shell Energy Asia who is based in.
You will be the sole Shell lawyer based in Japan and be part of a regional legal team in other countries in Asia who support the gas, power, crude and products trading businesses in the region. You will also be part of the global Shell Legal Team. The role of the Shell Legal team is to provide legal advice, support and related services to its businesses in a proactive, timely, cost-effective and professional manner with a view to furthering business objectives in support of the Shell Group Strategy, adding value and protecting Shell’s shareholder interests.
What’s the role?
The successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Acting as lead lawyer on, and advising on, drafting and negotiating Power trading and related arrangements
- Act as lead lawyer and/or support on select acquisition & divestment and new business development projects in Japan
- Provide legal support to the Lubricants business
- Act the in-house legal focal point and advisor for all legal issues which come up as part of Shell’s businesses in Japan
- The lawyer will also from time to time, subject to available capacity, be expected to work on regional matters in the wider Shell Energy Asia areas of business pertaining to gas and power trading and associated projects
- Represent Shell vis-à-vis third parties
- Instruct and manage external counsel to obtain cost effective legal advice when required
- Ensure that legal considerations, including mitigation of legal risks identified, are taken into account in operations, planning activities, contracting, new business/project development, including relations with relevant third parties
- Work with commercial colleagues to develop the legal and commercial structure of the existing business activities and any new business opportunities that arise
- Engage and collaborate with your Asian regional legal colleagues and Shell Legal lawyers globally across the function
- Contribute to the broader Shell Group business, reputational and stakeholder agenda
- Commitment to and focus on continuous improvement within the overall legal team
- Maximize benefits and minimize risks that could represent any kind of loss to shareholders, while delivering the business objectives
- Ensure that legal risks are identified, appropriate alternative structures and strategies are considered, and documents are appropriately drafted to reflect commercial decisions, at all times consistent with professional standards, legal obligations and Shell’s standards
- Provide advice in connection with, or otherwise participate in, key engagements with regulatory agencies and other stakeholders
- Provide support to energy transition matters and related innovative projects
What we need from you?
We are keen to hear from lawyers with the following qualifications/experience:
- Fluency in Japanese and English. The candidate must be able to function independently (i.e. draft, negotiate and provide advice) in both Japanese and English effectively without the need for Japanese translation support.
- Relevant law firm and/or in-house experience
- Possess Japanese law qualification/tertiary education OR legal qualification from another relevant jurisdiction with the required Japanese and English language skills
- Experience in Power trading arrangements (strong advantage) or deep experience in commercial contracting in energy commodity trading or other commercial contracting which is complementary to the energy industry
- Experience in new business development and project development arrangements
- Ability to work independently (as the sole lawyer in country) is essential, with a demonstrable record as a self-starter and ability to make decisions in ambiguous circumstances and to work in an uncertain regulatory and legal environment without significant management oversight
- Strong business partnering and stakeholder management skills
- Incisive grasp of legal issues, demonstrated learner mindset and capability to expand knowledge in relevant areas of law
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse external background, including senior government officials, senior lawyers/business representatives
- Excellent business acumen, risk assessment ability and ability to balance competing interests of businesses at varied stages of their evolution
- Good commercial mind and the ability to handle multiple demanding clients in an environment which requires a quick and thoughtful legal touch across several legal disciplines and with clients who need pragmatic legal advice
- Ability to address issues creatively and sensitively and to build excellent networking relationships across a range of internal and external organizations
- Astute risk and reputational management skills, and requires the ability to deal with, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to clearly explain legal risks, develop sound mitigation strategies and find acceptable commercial solutions
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.