Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Asset Commercial Analyst
Commercial and Retail
Job Family Group:
October 17, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Integrated Gas and Upstream
What is the role?
The Venture Analyst support and advises on a range of upstream commercial matters requiring analysis of contractual obligations and asset performance as well as provide support to Asset Commercial Manager on venture management activities.
Specifically, the Venture Analyst should identify issues and improvement opportunities proposing solutions, securing mandate where needed, support negotiations set up, framing and governance, and be a member of the cross functional team for commercial opportunities management. These may include contracts negotiation for unitizations, equalizations, review and preparation of work program and budget, development and maturation on growth opportunities, establishment of a robust control framework on venture activities, and may involve support to multiple parallel negotiations with external counterparties. In addition to actively engaging internal stakeholders and selected external counterparties the position holder will directly support Venture Managers and Venture leads.
The Venture Analyst takes a key role in ensuring venture day-to-day activities are performed in compliance with Joint Operating Agreement and Shell’s Joint Venture Governance Standards. As part of a diverse team, creative thinking is required to devise workable solutions to complex issues, to identify opportunities and address risks. Within the Asset Commercial team, members are expected to contribute to team development activities including providing feedback to other members. The role reports to the Asset Commercial Manager for Inova.
- Participate as a team member on negotiations for commercial agreements such as Joint Operating Agreements, Unitization agreements (e.g. Equalization agreements, Unit Operating Agreements, , Redetermination agreements), and, where applicable, provide commercial advice.
- Provide direct support to Venture Managers on all venture management aspects,
- Support effective planning and preparation for Technical and Operating Committee meetings with Partners.
- Coordinate ballot review and approval process, including coordination of weekly ballot board meeting.
- Undertake project management activities as (or for) the scope of Asset Commercial Managers to ensure agreed priorities and expectations will be met. Update negotiation plans and action logs.
- Build relationships with stakeholders in external organizations, identify specific challenges or alternatives, propose clear recommendations for action, advocate for them and build internal functional support to implement.
- Build knowledge of model agreements and industry practice and advise on compliance with Shell standards and policies including Ethics and Compliance, Health & Safety etc
- Recommend courses of action to the Asset Commercial Managers related to asset and commercial strategy.
- Ensure adequate control on venture activities and compliance with JOA and Shell Joint Venture Governance Standards, including cost oil recovery in Production Sharing Contracts.
What we need from you:
- Must have legal authorization to work in Brazil on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least a bachelor’s degree required (preferably Engineer and Economist. Business Administration, International Relations, Lawyer also acceptable)
- At least 3 years of relavant working experience
- Fluency in written and spoken Portuguese and in English for drafting and reviewing mandate and internal approval documents and engaging with stakeholders.
- Ideally, some work experience in a similar role within the upstream industry.
- Ability to analyze parties’ interests and potential opportunities to uncover and identify value from a variety of perspectives including presenting the merits and risk reward balance to decision makers.
- Petroleum contracts and agreements discipline knowledge (desirable).
- Ability to work in a deal team to support delivery of fully negotiated agreements for deals in differing environments and in accordance with mandate.
- Knowledge of risk identification, assessment and the creation of risk mitigation features in agreements to address key risks and uncertainties.
- Strong capability to analyze economic and financial valuations to determine preferred deal outcomes.
- Ability to make considered and timely decisions to achieve results that are sustainable and reflect positively on Shell’s reputation.
- Strong ability to prioritize own activities and work effectively under periodic peaks of time pressure such as may result from partner/stakeholder demands or at time of deal closure.
- Ability to draw on a wide range of influencing approaches.
The world faces energy challenges that are becoming more complex each day. We’re looking for people who share our passion for taking on those challenges with cutting edge technology, innovative thinking and a commitment to properly managed risk. Shell develops and operates some of the largest and most complex projects in the world and we always endeavour to work at the leading edge of technical innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.