Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Offshore Structural Engineer
Job Family Group:
Regular (FTC) (Fixed Term)
Posting Start Date:
As the Structural Engineer, you are expected to execute technical work, complying with the respective industrial standards and company specifications. The core requirements of the role are:
- This is a Short-Term Contract (STC) position to be primarily based in Menara Shell, Kuala Lumpur. The main purpose of this role is to assist Lead Structural Engineer to deliver Asset Life Extension and Capital Offshore Structure Projects.
- Strategize, plan, and execute Structural Engineering activities under your responsibility.
- Support lead structural engineer and coach junior engineers.
- As part of the Life Extension project, Structural Engineer is also required to have frequent offshore trip to platforms. The purpose is to perform platform assessment to define Work Scope.
- To work at Shell Upstream office in Miri supporting project when required.
- Demonstrate strong HSE and quality leadership.
- Raise concerns and provide solutions to Lead Structural Engineer timely.
- Ensure quality technical deliverables from structural team(s) assigned and facilitates interfaces in project activities. To perform in-house engineering for platform pre-service, in-service, and asset integrity assessment.
- Responsible for the material take-off (MTO), procurement and delivery of structural steels for Project.
- To manage onshore structural fabrication scope and subsequently support offshore installation adhering to applicable project and international codes & standards.
- Responsible for the quality, integrity, and functionality of all technical work. Deliver safe and effective solutions that is aligned with project value drivers.
- Support lead structural engineer in Project Cost, Manpower, and Schedule Management Plan with aim to drive project efficiency.
- Active participation and provide constructive feedback and/or challenges in Integrated technical reviews and project workshops.
- Demonstrate technical excellence in problem solving and provide sound solutions.
- Demonstrate learner mindset
Skills & Requirements:
1. BSc or BEng (minimum) in Civil & Structural disciplines engineering from University/Colleges/Institutions that is recognized by Board of Engineer, Malaysia.
2. Professional certificate or ready to pursue professional certificate by accredited bodies/associations.
- 12 years of experience (minimum) in oil and gas upstream Offshore Structures Engineering. And more than 4 years of experience as a Senior Structural Engineer.
- Strong technical and analytical abilities and a positive HSE and Quality mindset.
- Broad experience covers concept studies, FEED, detailed design, fabrication/installation support in both green and brownfield experiences.
- Demonstrated experienced in fixed offshore structures, application (types, including space-frame substructures and topsides), design and analysis methodologies and tools (SACS, USFOS, GRLWEAP, etc.).
- Demonstrated extensive hands-on experience in limit state design (LSD) or Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) in accordance with International Codes & Standard, e.g. ISO 19900 series, AISC, DNV rules, API series, CAP 437 etc. Delivered at least 3 CAPEX projects using LSD or LRFD.
- Demonstrated fabrication experience and familiar with fabrication related codes, especially EEMUA.
- Experienced delivering project using Company Specifications, e.g. SES 10.1, Shell DEPs, and PETRONAS operating and control practices etc. Delivered at least 2 projects using DEP and SES.
- Demonstrated solid experience delivering offshore structural engineering deliverables independently, for both pre-service and post-service analysis, e.g. Topsides (including modules, flare, bridge and vent structure) and Substructure In-place Analysis, Dynamic Analysis, Fatigue Analysis, Pushover Analysis, On-bottom Analysis, Loadout Analysis, Transportation Analysis, Lifting Analysis, and Impact Analysis (eg. Boat impact and dropped object).
- Demonstrated solid experience delivering offshore structural engineering deliverables independently, which includes Topsides and Substructure miscellaneous analysis, e.g. wave slamming design, wind and current vortex-induced-vibration (VIV) check, buoyancy tank design, clamp design, pile sleeve connection design, cathodic protection design, mudmat design, boat landing, riser guard etc.
- Good understanding in brownfield assessment and design, particularly on ageing platforms, which includes consideration of platform subsidence assessment, wave-in deck design and other brownfield retro-fittings activities. Able to identify constraints in brownfield assessment and provide sound and workable engineering solutions. Good command in Finite Element analysis using DNV or equivalent codes.
- Experience in Blast wall, Firewalls and Passive Fire Protection design/ engineering, refurbishment/ replacement is an advantage but not mandatory.
- Experience in Topsides module, Substructure, boat landing and riser guard decommissioning work/ activities is an advantage but not mandatory.
- Has awareness in Operate Phase, Project Management and Execution of brownfield facilities. Experience in asset maintenance is an advantage but not mandatory.
- Able to troubleshoot complex offshore structural engineering problems with support from lead structural engineer and provide creative, practical recommendations.
- Knowledge in metocean, geotechnical, material (steel, grout, etc.) and welding aspects, including facilities layout optimization and trade-off.
- Good communication skill with positive working attitudes. Good command of written and spoken English.
- Able to work independently and deliver quality results with junior engineers in a multi-discipline, multi-functional environment
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.