Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Well Fluids Chemist
Production Engineering Upstream
Job Family Group:
October 18, 2023
Posting Start Date:
What’s the role?
The Well Fluids Chemist has a thorough understanding of drilling fluids (and cementing chemistry), enables safe and efficient production of hydrocarbons from challenging reservoirs and in challenging conditions. As Well Fluids Chemist, you’ll serve as an independent technical expert for decisions, which affect technical and Health, Safety and Environmental (HS&E) performance of the Production Chemistry skillsets drilling fluids; fracking fluids and cement and is expected to conduct day-to-day work. As technical expert, you’ll also review and approve management of change proposals with the required behavioral elements for NAM Upstream operated assets in the Netherlands (NL) and United Kingdom (UK) – Southern North Sea.
Key Task and Accountabilities:
- Provides independent chemistry expertise solutions; specifying drilling fluid design, completion, and workover fluids, considering offset well, borehole stability analysis, well design & trajectory, well lifecycle (including Dutch specific requirements on plug and abandonment), formation properties, operational constrains, pumping requirements & cost effectiveness
- Specifying drill-in fluids for reservoir sections to minimize formation impairment, completion fluids and annular fluids
- Advise clean-up/clean-out program, advise on design, use of temporary/permanent well plugs and well abandonment
- Analyse drilling and completion fluids program reports, daily mud reports, daily drilling reports and troubleshoot problem areas
- Provide technical assurance (TA-2) on Well Fluids (and cement)
- Ensure commercial competitiveness of the total cost of ownership of application
- Understand the inter-relationship with other key disciplines
- Ensures compliance with both regulatory and corporate Health, Safety and Environmental guidelines, standards and policy
- Assists Chemical Management workflow (e.g., Safety Data Sheets, permits and reporting)
- Supports the various NAM environmental initiatives e.g., Chemical Risk Reduction and assist and assure implementation and embed agile ways of working
- Optionally acts as contract holder for chemical contract(s) and manage the ACV and leads improvement programs (technology) with vendor(s)
- Coach contractor engineers/laboratory personnel for time and quality response to other engineers in NAM. Manages quality supply of fluids and/or cement of relevant supplier
- The NAM Well Fluids and cement budgets are directly influenced by the Production Chemists advice/recommendations (as well) the Productive Time of rigs. NAM plans to operate 1-2 rigs
- As independent technical expert, the Well Fluids Chemist directly contributes chemistry added value to the NAM yearly business
- Wells CAPEX spend is directly influenced by the Well Fluids Chemist, who’s interpretation of production chemistry issues and its management, could significantly impact the concept select and detailed design
The tenure will be 4 years in Assen, The Netherlands on local NL employment term & conditions, flexible working is available with standard work schedule (non-virtual position).
What we need from you
- Must have (min) Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering or equivalent
- Thorough experience in Production Chemistry Drilling fluids (and Cementing Operations)
- Skilled in concept and detailed design input in Shell Global Well Delivery Program with preference at Technical Authority (TA-2) level
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) level and recognized contributor in Well Fluids related networks
- Willingness to develop as TA-2 Well Fluids, Drilling & Completion Fluids (and Cement)
- Experience in Contract management and can engage and report effectively with contractor parties and Well Engineers
- Experience in Production Technology, Reservoir Engineering and/or Well Engineering is a plus.
- Good knowledge of roles and responsibilities of other disciplines
- Strong knowledge of Regulatory requirements, Process Safety and HSSE considerations
NAM is a JV Shell Operated the NAM Production Chemistry department is composed with 4 different sub-discipline (non-equal) skills in the function with laboratories in 2 countries and 3 locations, including safety critical activities in both laboratory and field operations.
Business wide operations for several onshore and offshore assets, gas, and oil production, in 2 countries (Netherlands and UK) and multiple stakeholders, both surfaces as sub-surface, through multiple E2E processes (WRFM, MTO, ESP, EQP, HCM). Direct operations with Wells, abandonment, and CWI (GWDP). Emerging chemicals legislation in EU/NL/UK and associated compliance. Competitive requirement on expected delivery. Contract management (including EFA) and associated commercial & delivery challenges.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone applies, when they don’t feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation and life experiences to apply.
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.