Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Staff Wells Engineer
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Shell Nigeria is looking for the following:
- Staff Wells Site Supervisor
- Staff Wells Engineer Drilling
- Staff Wells Engineer (CWI)
What’s the role?
Staff Wells Site Engineer:
Supervise drilling and completion operations on the rig in accordance with the drilling program and the SPDC HSSE and operational policies standards and procedures with the objective of:
- Achieving Goal Zero
- Delivering on promises against 1) Schedule, 2) Cost and 3) Well proposal for reserves and production potential
- Raising performance to TQ
- Achieve goal zero on his rig by enforcing the applicable HSE rules and procedures, intervening in case of breech, working the rig HSE case, ensuring timely reporting and investigation of incidents, reinforcing Hazard identification and prevention, building staff HSE awareness
- Always maintain well control by ensuring personnel is conversant with kick detection techniques and well closing in procedures and BOP equipment is certified maintained and tested.
- Delivering wells on time and to the required quality standards. Track daily costs and take necessary action to deliver well within budget
- Translate drilling program into detailed instructions for contractors and service companies. Compiling daily drilling report and other required specific reports
- Coordinate activities of various contractors and service companies intervening on the rig site
- Identifying ideas to improve performance and communicating them to the office team for inclusion in drilling programs.
- Timely ordering of services and equipment and QA/QC when delivered on site and Coaching and mentoring across different rig units as may be required.
Staff Wells Engineer Drilling:
Responsible for the design, planning, and supervision of Drilling, completion and well intervention operations, with the full integration of the relevant asset teams. Preparation of detailed cost and time estimates, tracking of relevant metrics during job execution, after action reviews (AAR) documentation, well handover to Exploration, production, and developing subsequent improvement plans.
- HSSE – Integrate HSSE in the design, programming, and execution. Actively promote HSSE and Sustainable Development (SD) in all activities and ensure compliance with business principles.
- Regulatory – ensure all Well Notifications, Combined Operations Notifications, Regulatory Permits, etc are all in place and correct prior to commencement of operations.
- Mentor junior staff in all aspects of Well engineering design and operations, and in interaction with other asset teams.
- Support and foster relationships with other asset teams including subsurface, production, facilities, and construction. Support engagements with JV partners where applicable and the development and analysis of competitive benchmarking to drive operational excellence.
- Lead the technical and HSSE management of relevant service provider contracts and support the contracting and procurement strategy. Collaborate with contractors regarding performance, future variances, etc. as needed.
- Actively drive the identification, development, and implementation of new technologies and the opportunities to optimize field operations.
- Develop annual personal performance review/management documents including performance contracts, individual development plans (IDPs) and goals and performance appraisals (GPAs)
Staff Wells Engineer (CWI):
To provide technical expertise and operational support (including System Integration Testing of Surface Wellhead and Xmas Tree systems for Wells Operations.
- Providing exemplary HS&E leadership to ensure that corporate HS&E policies and initiatives are disseminated and applied to all Wells Wellhead and Tree system integration testing operations.
- Act as the focal point with our suppliers for scheduling, management, refurbishment and certification of Surface Tress, Wellhead Equipment and Surface intervention systems.
- Attend morning Rig calls on a daily basis.
- Provide technical input and support, both routine and emergency, on all aspects of Wellhead and Xmas Tree systems to Wells teams during drilling, completion and intervention operations.
- Rig start up - organise and compile accurate Rig survey reports and make recommendations with regard to equipment handling, location and installation
- Planning and scheduling of Tree system refurbishments to ensure equipment is available for installation to meet project schedule
- Develop and agree SIT procedures for all Wellhead and Xmas Tree systems such that the completion of the test programme delivers technical integrity assurance of all system interfaces prior to shipment for installation.
- Deliver Plan and schedule for SIT activities to ensure equipment is available for installation to meet project schedule.
- Liase with Design Engineers to ensure Surface Wellhead and Xmas Tree specifications and associated SIT’s meet specific project requirements.
- Produce accurate, detailed SIT cost estimates using approved cost estimating systems and be responsible for accurate cost tracking during SIT operations.
- Apply STL principles and tools to SIT planning and execution in order to drive improved performance
- Management of contracts in SAP for all SIT related activities, including the raising of purchase orders, call off’s and service entries.
- Call off and co-ordinate multi-disciplined team of contractors to provide all services and equipment to perform SIT’s as per the agreed procedure.
- Attend and provide input at CWOP’s, DWOP’s and IWOP’s.
- Provide input and review Drilling, Completion, and Intervention and Abandonment programs.
- Review and approve Operations and Maintenance manuals,
- Review and approve new and repaired equipment FAT procedures.
- Work with front end team to ensure all proposed Wellhead and Xmas tree designs adjustments are fit for purpose.
What we need from you?
Staff Wells Site Supervisor
- A professional engineer with a university degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in Well Engineering and Drilling activities. Four of which should have been spent as a Drilling Supervisor.
- IWCF certification is an added advantage
- Good supervisory skills, with sound knowledge of drilling practices and well control principles and techniques enhanced by strong interpersonal skills
- Good analytical, communication and writing skills, with PC fluency and familiarity with drilling engineering software.
- Excellent proficiency in English language, both in speech and in writing
- Willing to work on rotations to remote field locations
Staff Wells Engineer (Drilling)
- Technical Skills: A graduate degree in engineering or science
- Minimum of Eight (8) years experience in Well Engineering and design three of which should have been spent as a drilling Engineer.
- A demonstrable experience in Shallow water and onshore drilling and completions design
- Design Experience with use of Wells Design tools such as WELLCAT, WELLPLAN, COMPASS etc.
- Possession of IWCF could be an added advantage
- Commercial skills: Strong management skills, proponent of Strategic Cost Leadership, deep understanding of commercial implications of emerging ways of working, techniques and technologies. Able to bench mark on local and global scale.
- JV Relations and budget management, cost recovery.
- People Skills: Exceptional relationship skills and ability to influence at all levels.
- Be responsible for own development and will execute a personal development plan agreed with the Well Ops Team Leader- Skilled in presentation and communications
- Ability to work and manage in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- maximum value to the assigned asset whilst maintaining HS&E standards.
Staff Wells Engineer CWI
- Have a Higher National or equivalent qualification in Mechanical Engineering or a similar technical or scientific discipline.
- Have a minimum of eight year’s well engineering experience, including extensive experience and knowledge of Surface Tree and Wellhead systems.
- Have an understanding of control systems and Surface intervention Systems.
- Be responsible for own development and will execute a personal development plan in conjunction with line supervisor and capability team
- Maintain minimum safety certification to satisfy the requirements of the position. (Offshore survival, medical etc.)
Shell does not request monetary payments (e.g. insurance policy, visa/work permit, HUET or HSSE training, special job offer, etc.) for employment. Individuals who are interested in opportunities within the Shell Group will find open positions listed on the company websites www.shell.com/careers when available.
Shell does not make use of employment forms; neither does the Company process CVs that have not been submitted through the proper websites: www.shell.com/careers. All successful applicants who receive an offer of employment from Shell would have been required to go through a formal and transparent recruitment process.
To learn more about Shell’s recruitment process please visit our website www.shell.com/careers.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.