Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Lead BI Analyst - Data Engineering
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Lead BI Analyst – Data Engineering
Applies techniques such as business intelligence (BI), reporting and data modelling, analytical techniques and big data processing to provide the business with relevant information to increase revenues, improve operational efficiency, optimise customer programs, respond quickly to emerging market trends and gain a competitive edge in the market.
Provides operational and functional support to the business on creating, storing, managing and maintaining information in all its forms, including the ability to incorporate policies and procedures for centrally managing and sharing information among different individuals, organisations and information systems throughout the information life cycle.
General Position Definition
- Finance Operations Data Science Team is tasked with delivering tangible value to business units within Shell through data-driven decision making.
- This position is part of Process Analytics team leading a team of business analysts supporting process mining projects for different businesses within Shell. The individual will join a growing global data science organization spanning both on/offshore.
- Incumbent is responsible for leading and executing data analysis projects in a business, collaborating with different business stakeholders and other partners, support the implementation of insights to realize tangible value for Shell, manage a team of BI Analysts (up to 5) and working across a range of technologies and tools.
- The ideal candidate has strong background in business analytics, storytelling, quantitative skills, brings domain expertise, has applied those skills in solving real world problems across different businesses / functions and has managed small teams in delivering insights.
- Exposure to process mining tools like Celonis EMS/UI Path/PAFNow is preferred
- Support the Data Science Manager in design & execution of projects and play proactive role in data model enhancements for Celonis Execution Management Systems (EMS) platform and building the opportunities pipeline.
- Lead the execution and management of Celonis Execution Management Systems (EMS) with focus on Extraction, Transformation, Data Modelling, Action Flows, Global reporting.
- Design and effectively coordinate development of ETL/data warehouse best practices needed to support new and evolving sources of data
- Establish methodology to gather, qualify, prioritize, and facilitate data model requirements; Design and deliver process models to ensure seamless analytics delivery
- Articulate the insights from the analysis in business-friendly language and explain the workings of the analysis outcomes for business adoption
- Provide support to the Data Science Manager in managing the portfolio
Reporting and Technology Skills
- Deep expertise in analytics tools and technologies including (but not limited to):
- Data Engineering: Scripting Tools like SQL/Python
- SAP Data Models and SAP Table Structures (across SAP Modules).
- Data Analysis & reporting: Data collection, Data cleaning, Data Quality Analysis, Exploratory data analysis, Reporting Automation
- Storytelling: Data visualization, Data Storytelling, Dashboard maintenance
- Strong experience in BI tools and technologies (including, but not limited to)
- Spotfire, Tableau, Qlikview
- Awareness of Agile / Scrum ways of working
- Should be strong at understanding data architecture or frameworks and effectively coordinate development of ETL/data warehouse best practices needed to support new and evolving sources of data used in reporting and process analytics
- Identify the right modeling approach(es) for given scenario and articulate why the approach fits
- Design data warehouse flows and schemas and reporting models in the semantic layer
- Assess data availability and reporting/modelling feasibility
- Review interpretation of analysis results
- Experience in Celonis (On-Prem/EMS), UI Path, PAFNow preferred
- Proficiency Level: Mastery
Industry / Functional Expertise
- Provide deep business expertise preferably Oil & Gas - Upstream or Downstream businesses. (If these are not available, willing to consider other industries that are similar or related - manufacturing, mining, power generation, etc.)
functional expertise in any one or more of the following industries / functional areas
- Functional Analytics: Order-to-cash, Procure-to-Pay, Record-to-Report, Tax (Direct & Indirect), Financial Risk and Assurance (controls and governance), Master Data Management
- Manufacturing / Supply Chain: Maintenance Scheduling & Optimization, Inventory optimization, Spend Analytics, Vendor Performance, Logistics optimization, Contract Compliance
- Proficiency Level: Skill-to-Mastery
Stakeholder Management Skills
- Forming close relationships with business stakeholders across businesses / functions to comprehensively understand their areas of operation and apply those in project execution
- Effective coordination with IT & Data Experts to ensure design & management of data pipelines to support Process Mining
- Clearly articulate the challenges / opportunities in business / function that can be supported by analytics
- Deliver actionable insights that directly address challenges / opportunities
- Guide articulation of business insights and recommendations based on understanding of business / function and respective stakeholders
- Understanding of business governance and control structures & selecting the right analytical approaches which are consistent with businesses control/governance framework
- Understanding business KPI's, frameworks and drivers for performance
- Proficiency Level: Skill
- Execute end-to-end analytics projects - Project scoping, sourcing data, managing modeling, translating model results into business insights, and helping business partner understand insights and make decisions accordingly (help generate value for organization through data analysis)
- Creating project management plan, running status update meetings, coordinating deliverables and timelines, and managing risks to project delivery
- Manage different moving parts - business stakeholders, IT, Analytics Resources, Data Experts, SMEs, etc. for the successful execution of the projects (executing multiple projects at a time will be considered a plus)
- Solves most problems independently and articulate issues across functions and businesses, ensure collaboration to bring about solutions
- Proficiency Level: Mastery
- Deliver practical working solutions from a new and developing conceptual area.
- Coach and mentor BI Analyst and Sr BI Analysts team members
- Virtual working with network of colleagues located throughout the globe.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.