Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Job Family Group:
September 14, 2023
Posting Start Date:
What’s the role?
The role is to act as Civil Engineer for the Bacton Gas Terminal, actively engaging with key internal and external stakeholders to provide and support safe and reliable existing civil infrastructure, provide technical assurance, and where required, value engineering to new opportunities. The primary focus and support area is the onshore Bacton Gas Plant. It is anticipated that this role would expand into a duo-skilled role, with opportunities to develop Offshore Structures skill to provide engineering support to COP infrastructure in other parts of the organization.
Specific activities include:
- Singular focus on Goal Zero; establish and maintain a high standard towards Personal and Process safety as well as other HSSE & Shell Business Principles, Site Management Systems and compliances required to work in a fully operational plant.
- Serve as member of the One Gas West Facility Support Agile squad, working with other disciplines to properly prioritize and resource applicable Civil scope along with other plant priorities.
- Managing prioritization, scope development, and funding justification for specific Civil infrastructure programs at the Bacton Gas Plant, including drain systems, passive fire protection, structural steel, shore approach geotechnical, etc.
- Act as Shell representative and supervise execution of Coastal Protection activities.
- Civil execution quality assurance
- Undertake Structural Inspection activities as per performance standards SI001, SI002
- Perform Technical Integrity Reviews according to Asset Civil Standard Workflow.
- Act as local Excavation focal point.
- Providing updates to Civil Standard Workflows and implementing new standards and processes as improved assessment technology or techniques emerge, best practices are learned, or regulations/industry standards change.
- Coordinate with neighbouring Operators on common Civil Engineering topics.
On-site travel to the gas plant in Bacton / ONEgas West Asset office at Great Yarmouth, UK is expected on average 2-3 days per week, with some flexibility on remote time working.
What we need from you
The Civil Engineer is expected to possess:
- BS or higher in Engineering with significant years of professional experience in the Civil discipline.
- Knowledge of civil operations, integrity assessment, degradation, data analysis and integration, and repairs.
- Experience in general integrity threat assessment, degradation modes, selecting appropriate inspection and maintenance technology.
- Skill in UK regulations, codes, and (international) standards affecting civil infrastructure a plus, but not required.
- Successful experience in contributing to projects and modifications.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently on several issues simultaneously.
- Ability to lead and drive improvement initiatives across cross functional teams including different cultures and geographical areas.
- Awareness / knowledge in Agile / Lean concepts and ways of working is a plus.
- Strong communications, problem solving, and meeting facilitation skills.
- Strong analytic skills in relevant software tools such as IMS, SAP, MS Excel, PowerBI, etc.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don’t feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
The Civil Engineer is expected to possess:
BS or higher in Engineering with 5+ years of professional experience in the Civil discipline.
Knowledge of civil operations, integrity assessment, degradation, data analysis and integration, and repairs.
Experience in general integrity threat assessment, degradation modes, selecting appropriate inspection and maintenance technology.
Skill in UK regulations, codes, and (international) standards affecting civil infrastructure a plus, but not required.
Successful experience in contributing to projects and modifications.
Self-motivation and ability to work independently on several issues simultaneously.
Ability to lead and drive improvement initiatives across cross functional teams including different cultures and geographical areas.
Prior certification as Shell TA-3 in Civil a plus, but not necessarily required.
Awareness / knowledge in Agile / Lean concepts and ways of working
Strong communications, problem solving, and meeting facilitation skills.
Strong analytic skills in relevant software tools such as IMS, SAP, MS Excel, PowerBI, etc.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.