Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Job Family Group:
September 27, 2023
Posting Start Date:
What’s the role?
Primary subject matter expert within Global Credit with respect to knowledge of North American Gas & Power/Commercial Products 3rd party overdue receivables, status and actions required to resolve for the respectful businesses/commodity under Trading and Supply. This includes maintaining consistent contact with finance operations, traders, regional team leads, operational support, finance managers, and legal to drive desired outcomes. Consistently provide vision and recommend/deliver business strategies up to Global Head of Receivables Risk Management which will increase efficiencies and the effectiveness of collection efforts to support long term sustainable performance results.
- Act as primary focal point with respect to global trading & supply receivables to all commercial and financial stakeholders for the SENA/Commercial Products portfolio of businesses including VP/GM’s of Crude & Products Trading and subordinate Finance Managers.
- Connectivity with FO/Commercial/Finance/Demurrage/Credit to ensure synchronized strategies; provide guidance to relevant analysts to ensure zero gaps, timely collection of receivables and ultimately, payment driven to terms:
- Coordinate the activities required for dispute resolution to cancel and re-issue invoices timely
- Assist/Guide/Train Chennai FO analysts in understanding the reasons for the overdue, and in wording e-mails to be sent to counterparties
- Monitor items that are approaching time bar, and discuss appropriate actions with the desk
- Pursue a selected number of the most difficult counterparties directly, i.e., those requiring more intricate knowledge interfacing with FMs and Commercial Credit Managers
- Undertake monthly desk reviews to ensure desk leads/Regional Team Leads (RTLs) are aware of delinquent issues and taking appropriate actions on overdues in a timely fashion; facilitate links with Legal, Tax, Compliance and Operations to drive recovery
- Leverage best practices across different portfolios & countries re: successful collection strategies
- Ensure adherence with local laws & regulations, including training FO staff where necessary
- Co-ordinate with Underwriting on any urgent need to reduce/amend credit terms in response to evidence of delayed payment, and implications for counterparty’s fundamental creditworthiness
- Provide routine presentations with respect to Receivables Risk Management (RRM) results/strategies/vision to Credit/Risk peers, FiB, Demurrage and Commercial
- In depth Monthly/Quarterly reporting of overdues by VP/GM/RTL, trends, highlight concerns and/or challenges related to overdues (Top 20, RPM PPT’s, Credit Committee slide decks, Doubtful debt provisions/reversals, write offs, as well as ad hoc requests from stakeholders regarding receivables exposures tied to specific businesses or desks)
- Review & continuously suggest improvements to KPI reporting to drive desired results which reduce overdue exposures
- Present results/concerns to various stakeholders within the business through reporting and presentations in a meeting sessions
- Security Management/Utilization:
- Checks with Collateral management for LC’s or cash available as potential leverage/resolution to overdue receivables based upon contractual language
- Bad Debt Management:
- Construct promissory notes, payment plans or other structured solutions, working alongside relevant Commercial Credit Managers, to assist customers experiencing short term cash flow issues to ultimately obtain funding and avoid a bad debt
- Produce contractual Notices of Pending default to allow for Shell to legally terminate if necessary
- Liaise with legal, finance, contracts, the desk and the counterparty to assist in the submission of claim exposures and track status in bankruptcy cases/disputes pursued through the courts
- Review, assess and submit provisions for doubtful debts (SOX Control) and write-off requests for approval by Business owners, FMs and Accounting Operations based upon age/viability of receivable collection. Work with FO and Financial Accounting to ensure appropriate bookings are made in line with policy, and that bad debts flow down to the P&L of the relevant desk
- Perform monthly reconciliation of bad debt provision balances to question completeness, value accuracy as per accounting standards, sufficient documentation as support, confirmed expected partial/full recovery in future
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor’s degree required, Degree in Accountancy or Finance, ACCA is an advantage
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in full-fledged Accounts Receivable (AR), preferably in the oil & gas / commodity trading or banking industry
- Experience with SAP system
- Proficient in excel and comfortable with data analytics
- Significant experience in Credit Risk and Analysis, Corporate Bankruptcy and Debt Recovery, or other relevant related functionalities preferred
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.