Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Accounting New Business Advisor, Trading
Job Family Group:
August 22, 2023
Posting Start Date:
A great introduction to one of the world’s largest commodity trading businesses – you’ll sharpen your accounting expertise, learn about deal drivers and valuation techniques and become a valued business partner to diverse decision-makers all over the world.
Where you fit in?
Shell’s Trading & Supply business is a significant part of the Shell Group, acting as interface between different business units and external customers. It is involved in optimisation and trading for profit and has a strong track record of growth and constantly developing new and innovative deal structures. Trading & Supply is at the forefront of Shell’s Powering Progress strategy, supporting Energy Transition with significant activity in renewables, emissions credits and biofuels, alongside the more traditional gas, LNG and oil businesses.
What’s the role?
You’ll be part of a global team (based in London, Singapore and Houston) which advises on the accounting treatment of new business proposals. You’ll work collaboratively with stakeholders across finance and the business, be interested in understanding this fast-evolving business and deal drivers and have a hand in how they get implemented and reported.
More specifically, your role will include:
- Supporting business growth through provision of accounting advice on new deals in the gas & power and carbon emissions trading and also input on how deals are structured and set up in the trading systems
- Developing new accounting policies and guidance where needed and communicating this across the finance organisation
- Analysing complex and judgmental areas (e.g. impairments, market liquidity assessment, balance sheet presentation and derivative valuation)
- Act as the subject matter expert on IFRS derivative accounting standards and apply these to value and account for derivatives in Trading
- Support for Group led initiatives to implement new accounting standards, analysing the impact on Trading and developing practical application guidance that wider finance team can follow.
- Identify accounting risks and take proactive steps to address them, including influencing other finance teams and designing new processes and controls.
- Adopt a controllers’ mindset throughout the quarterly financial reporting process and remain vigilant to gaps or errors in existing processes and data integrity as/when these arise in close collaboration with the extended finance team. Demonstrate and pro-actively champion a continuous improvement mindset throughout the extended finance team.
What we need from you?
A Qualified Accountant, with significant finance experience (including accounting & reporting) either in a commodity trading environment or with an accounting practice or other large corporate.
A thorough knowledge of accounting standards such as financial instruments (IFRS 9 and 7), fair value (IFRS13) and leasing (IFRS16). But the ever-evolving nature of deals means equally important is the ability to identify key deal features and be able to research issues, apply concepts and provided clear written analysis and advise.
Able to handle ambiguity in deal fact pattern and apply judgment as for many deals, there will not be prescriptive policies or IFRS guidance.
Able to work across different multi-disciplinary finance as well as commercial teams, an ability to influence others and to make supportable and actionable recommendations – thus ensuring advice is understood and gets implemented correctly.
The successful candidate will also:
- Bring a positive, proactive approach to managing and solving problems. Collaboration across the team is key, to ensure consistent advice, to learn (and share learnings) and to balance workload across the team.
- Have a genuine interest in developing a full understanding of end-to-end deal economics and how accounting outcomes might influence the returns or presentation of a deal.
- Be able to stand ground when presenting accounting recommendations. For instance, persuading the auditor why one treatment is justified over another; or delivering advice that may be unpopular with business stakeholders.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
More about Shell in Singapore
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.