Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
HR Specialist, Employee Relations
Human Resources Jobs
Job Family Group:
August 7, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Do you want to be involved in shaping a great place to work, or in creating a positive environment for people; thereby, allowing them to flourish and fulfil our strategic ambitions? Are you passionate about helping our organization address employee workplace issues fairly and consistently whilst demonstrating care?
Where you fit
The business landscape has fundamentally changed. Tomorrow’s environment will be different, and we expect it to be rich in opportunities for us to be competitive, to achieve our business strategy, and to enable Shell to thrive in the Energy Transition going forward.
Shell Business Operations (SBO) is a chain of Centers that form an integral part of Shell. We influence business development for Shell globally, enabling the work of 90,000 employees in over 70 countries across the world.
SBO Bangalore houses more than 11000 employees and is focused on driving excellent corporate performance that enables Shell to operate in a global competitive and ever-changing business environment.
You will play a critical role in proactively ensuring a harmonious work environment, handling grievances effectively, and ensuring compliance with labour laws to enable a healthy ER/IR environment in SBO Bangalore. You will be adept at using data to proactively identify emerging ER/IR trends and define mitigations for potential future risks.
What’s the role?
In this role, you join a team of HR professionals that offers a supportive environment, whilst focusing on enabling business success every day. You report to the Centre HR Manager and work with a knowledgeable team You will be an individual contributor and have the opportunity to coach/guide fellow ER/IR team members.
Key accountabilities for the role include:
Employee Relations & Employee Engagement:
- Translate global ER philosophy to local ER Strategy and plan.
- Provide SBO Bangalore specific SME ER/IR advice.
- Manage local consultation processes and requirements.
- Manage external risks and ensure compliance with external legislative requirements.
- Ensure good solid knowledge of Labor Practice standards internally and keep up to date with the external news and development.
- Act as trusted advisor/ offer coaching for front line LMs (formal/informal) and ER/IR focal for the SBO business operating in India. Support legal entity related ER/IR assurance.
- Run proactive interventions aimed at improving quality of leadership/ employee engagement through line managers.
- Develop and execute SBO/country-specific culture and work environment programmes incl. health and welfare design and application.
- Develop and leverage relationship with internal Employee Representative bodies.
- Lead/manage high-impact or high-risk individual or collective disciplinary, grievance or other ER/IR issues.
- Coach and support an inclusive workforce and the overall DE&I agenda for the Country.
- Represent Shell externally as a recognized expert in SBO country-specific issues.
- Assess IR management component of contractor tenders and manage relationship with employers of contractors (regulation of terms, co-employment risk).
- Have oversight and influence of major contractors in their IR strategy/tactics where applicable (liaise with CP).
HSSE, Compliance & Ethics
- Set up local crisis management governance and manage HR angle of crisis in collaboration with key stakeholders e.g., RE, Shell Health, Head of SBO Bangalore etc.,
- Sense (also through the line and HR Advice) what goes on in the organization and anticipate what topics can grow into grievances.
- Lead HR investigations, GHL complaints and other grievances
- Ensure duty of care towards employees and contractors (worker welfare)
Capability and community building
- Ensure robust information & knowledge management relating to SBO/ Country specific ER/IR content.
- Collaborate with HR Expertise to ensure good solid knowledge of Labour Practices standards internally and keeping up to date with the external news and development.
- Coach HR Advisors and Line Managers on quality ER, Ethics & Compliance.
- Maintain effective relationship and promote collaboration with various networks in SBO Bangalore, ER/IR advisors in the other four SBO Centres, local & global stakeholders and as well as with other parts of the HR/business organisation.
- Ensure governance of Statutory Compliances.
- Coach / facilitate and attend Labour Inspections and Audits.
- Work with the Country Compliance Conduit.
- Protect our license to operate.
What we need from you
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree from Tier 1 institute in human resources or any relevant discipline, with experience in ER/IR and a minimum of 12 years handling complex employee relations matters.
- Advanced degree or certifications in HR, Labour Law or Legal Areas would be advantageous.
- Be an expert on employee engagement, employee relations, and complex case management.
- Bring strong business partnering and coaching skills with collaboration/integrative leadership (with other parts of the HR organization).
- High level of discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive HR and legal matters.
- Have deep subject matter expertise in country-specific ER/IR legislation, regulations, directives, practices and processes.
- Be able to identify and understand local external market trends (economic, political, social) and derive insights to drive effective a long-term ER/IR environment in SBO.
- Demonstrate strong diagnostic/analytical and evaluation skills – able to distill key themes and value drivers from complex and sometimes conflicting data and insights.
- Leverage excellent communication & influencing skills to effectively manage a broad range of both external and internal stakeholders including 3rd party bodies, senior stakeholders, and government agencies.
Note: The Internal Job title for this Requisition would be "ER/IR Advisor"
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.