Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Team Lead - Process Engineering
Job Family Group:
February 17, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
The Team Lead – Process Engineering role would lead TAO teams that (Process Technologist/Process Modeling Engineer) will provide process engineering support to the technology organizations to ensure production excellence. They will be expected to support a variety of process engineering activities at the site and identify margin opportunities, cost reductions, process safety assurance and optimize the operating units assigned to them. This can also include remote monitoring and process performance reporting for process units assigned.
Process modelling / simulation is also a scope where the Process Engineer will play a key role in managing and using the unit process modeling tools (i.e. Pro II, SHARC, HYSTAR, COBRA, etc.) to help the technology and production teams translate data to insights to decisions to generate value for the site.
This activity feeds into multiple deliverables.
• Supports continuous improvement of the theme area. The process engineer is assessed based on the delivery of theme area improvement each year which is considered comparable to supervisory team lead leadership. Maintains and improves the portfolio of their respective theme area and delivers value through improvement of the overall theme.
• Supports compliance to global and site standards for technical monitoring process and practices in collaboration with P&T and Global work process focal points.
• Provides inputs and guidance to the OSE’s/CSE’s assigned to the physical assets to ensure their assigned assets are operated in a safe, environmentally sound and reliable manner in accordance with the license to operate and the defined safe operating envelope.
• Maintains up to date technology specific knowledge through LFI, technical networks etc. so as to be able to proactively identify threats to the units or business coming from the wider Shell organization or industry knowledge and practices.
• Identify opportunities to improve unit capacity, yield, availability and utilization in support of the site and business plans.
• Participates in technology forums, conferences to share learning and maintain and improve competencies in their specialty.
• Maintains and help’s develop training materials and guidance manuals designed for Engineers in conjunction with P&T and Learning.
Specific activities can include (but not limited to):
Monitoring of units using existing tools like PI-Book, SmartM, PTM-Hub, UTL, Sample Manager
Gathering required information out of AIM, SIFPro, Technology SharePoint sites etc.
Skills and Requirements:
Min. 8 years of experience in a refining facility
Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
Domain knowledge in a specific refining or petrochemical technology is preferred (e.g., Distillation, Cat Cracking, Coking, Hydrocracking, Hydrotreating, Reforming, Logistics, Utilities, etc.)
Knowledge of integration between process units
Strong experience using industry standard process simulation software (e.g., flowsheeting tools, Unisim, PRO-II, HYSYS, ChemPro, etc.) or Shell process models is preferred (e.g., SHARC, HYSTAR, COBRA, etc.)
Understanding fundamentals of flow measurement technology, basic mass and energy balance
Working knowledge of field Measurement, IPF, Quality Measurement, Metering, Base Layer & APC, DCS systems
Experience in data quality assurance checks, troubleshooting and statistics. Data analysis, visualizations and reporting tools such as MS Excel, Power BI and Power apps
Process Safety experience
Hydraulics and Simulation experience
Demonstrated experience in leading a group of engineers
Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks, and demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills
Good organization, documentation, and follow-up.
Time management skills.
Problem solving skills - knowledge of engineering Standards and best practices.
Working knowledge of refinery Control systems equipment and technology
Blueprint, FIM investigation, MOC knowledge.
Motivates, coaches, and develops
Self-starter and an independent worker capable of collaborating in a team environment with an ability to build strong effective relationships with asset production teams while working remotely
Continuous improvement of PTM-monitoring plans including gap-closure, maintenance of tags, adjustment of limits etc.
Developing of proposals to address identified immediate threats
Detailed root-cause analysis of abnormalities
Developing of proposals to optimize units
Preparation, execution and reporting of test runs in direct cooperation with PU
Discuss these reports with PU and Technology representatives
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.