Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Specialist - DS Energy Accounting
Job Family Group:
Regular (FTC) (Fixed Term)
September 14, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Where you fit
The DS Energy Accounting process covers various stages in the hydrocarbon stock lifecycle within the Group. It encompasses recording stock transactions, movements, reconciliations, invoicing, payments, and stock valuation. This process is a crucial component of the broader Energy Risk and Accounting (ERA) process, identified as one of the key areas for improvement to enhance the Group's competitive position and close the value gap.
In KL, ERA processes support various downstream businesses, including Trading and Supply, Aviation, Bitumen, Lubes, Manufacturing, and supporting businesses in the East region. The Finance Operations Specialist at KL assists the Team Manager in overseeing the ERA process's operations for Shell entities within a defined country/scope. This role emphasizes operational excellence, process compliance, quality control, continuous improvement, stakeholder collaboration, and staff development.
The Specialist position offers an exceptional opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to gain exposure to Finance Operations, GSAP/non-GSAP processes, and systems. The successful candidate will support the Team Manager in managing the ERA Philippines portfolio, ensuring operational efficiency, effectiveness, and control within their team.
What’s the role?
- Ensure timely review of activities and controls in assigned Pakistan and India portfolio; and drive for quality and timely month end close.
- Backup reviewer for Team Manager in their absence.
- Provide coaching and guidance to team members on operational activities Ensure the team adheres to the fundamentals of standard accounting principles, policies and standards.
- Ensure all processes, procedures and controls are followed, and that a robust control framework is maintained. This includes adherence to the Work Instructions that that this document is updated. Where issues occur, understand details and establish root causes whether coming from design or execution, and take appropriate steps to resolve.
- Support/drive stabilization theme (targeted improvements in manual workaround process, Feeder process/Process discipline, IT challenges etc) so that our operating processes are effective and robust.
- Support/drive continuous improvement initiative so that our operating processes are efficient.
- Constantly monitor the controls environment specifically risky transactions and ensure they are fit for purpose and kept robust and evergreen to suit the dynamic business.
- Complexity is with respect to Regulatory environment (e.g. sanctions on GEC countries or sectoral sanctions), supporting new business on controls and compliance; etc.
- Ensure that the process performance delivered by the organisation meets the diverse requirements of businesses and satisfies local legal, fiscal and other obligations.
- Support a safe environment and sustainable working. Embed HSSE culture and behaviour within Team.
- Establish and maintain an office environment supportive of diversity and inclusiveness.
- Escalate when staff backup plan is not workable due to frequent staff turnover, conflicting deadlines, and complexity of tasks. Promote teamwork between team members, ERA Team, Onshore Team and Finance Operations
- Provide support to Process Owners and Process Experts on Continuous Improvement projects
- Be accountable in ERA Philippines portfolio and build an effective partnership with FIB, Functions and business stakeholders to drive accountabilities for process, issue resolution and improvements.
- Develop and foster connections with relevant business partners (including other processes) to ensure performance and control issues in the end-to-end process are identified and resolved quickly, and that high-level issues are appropriately escalated, discussed and resolved.
- Maintain external perspective; proactive engagement with key stakeholders.
- Degree in Finance/Accounting, preferably with professional certification (i.e. ACCA/CIMA/CPA, etc.)
- Strong financial background and understanding of internal controls
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in any Accounting-related field. (Understanding of SAP is an added advantage)
- Strong adherence to processes, policies, and procedures
- Good problem-solving skills, analytical abilities, and inquisitive mindset
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) as well as interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Understanding of product measurement and accounting practices, inventory management, costing and impact on stock valuations is an added advantage
- Capable of working under pressure and highly driven to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to integrate business and process knowledge
- Ability to gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of GSAP contracts, pricing and material movements, its relation to settlement process, the source, document flow & associated fields
- This is a 1-year contract role.
Shell Business Operations (SBO) is a chain of operational centers that form an integral part of Royal Dutch Shell. We influence business development for Shell globally, enabling the work of 93,000 employees in over 70 countries across the world.
SBO Kuala Lumpur is home to 11 different functions that support Shell within the Southeast Asia, Oceania, and Middle East region. Housing more than 2000 employees, SBO Kuala Lumpur is focused on driving excellent corporate performance that enable Shell to operate in a global competitive and ever-changing business environment.
Shell Business Operations (SBO) Kuala Lumpur is focused on driving excellent corporate performance in Contracting and Procurement, Creative Solutions, Customer Operations, Finance Operations, Human Resource, Information Technology, Legal Operations, Retail Centre of Excellence, Supply Chain, Technical Asset Operation and Upstream Transformation. We enable Shell to operate in a global-competitive and ever-changing business environment.
An Innovative Place to Work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An Inclusive & Progressive Place to Work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
A Rewarding Place to Work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. Our CARE benefits are mindfully curated to promote Eco Living, overall Wellbeing, Personal Growth and Caring for our loved ones.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.