Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Operations Lead - Market Risk
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Purpose & Accountabilities:
This description is for the position of Operations Lead – Market Risk who will work with the LNG Market Risk teams and the various business partners to ensure reporting processes and financial controls are documented and implemented seamlessly to deliver top quartile performance. The Market Risk (MR) department is a specialized unit in Finance Operations (FO) that operates in Chennai, Bangalore and Manila centers. The team has frontline responsibility for risk measurement, deal valuation, exposure reporting and price validation. The department pulls together a range of expert skills that ensure accurate, timely reporting and allow MR to offer professional advice on the wide range of issues that the department gets involved in. We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork. The team has been continuously absorbing newly migrated activities over the last eight years with continued growth and more complex work will continue to be absorbed into the teams
LNG Operations Lead will be accountable for financial controls (including SOX); onboarding options/derivatives and other complex reporting; driving change projects; monitoring and improving the process operating model (process, systems, data) to achieve the required Marker Risk FO’s goals such as designing complex process improvements, as well as ensuring a fit for purpose controls framework is being established. The individual reports to the Operations Manager (OM) and works closely with stakeholders globally across Market Risk (Advisory, Operations, FO), CRMS, Credit Risk, Trading Commercial and Operations teams, Finance in the Business, IT, Technical & Derivative Accounting and TSA and R&A teams.
The list below is intended to provide a brief glimpse of the day-to-day activities and also highlight the key areas of proficiency (strong business understanding, ability to navigate systems, managing stakeholder relationships and key technical skills) that would help the succeed in the role.
- Own & operate financial/SOX controls including, but not limited to existing controls as well as new controls as part of Project Arc
- Ideate, propose changes to the design and control descriptons working with GRA
- Propose and design fit-for-purpose changes and operationalize reporting for non-linear trading instruments
- Utilise business knowledge and understanding of the reporting landscape to scope out and test any planned changes to reporting and map out changes to operational aspects of projects including the currently ongoing Project arc, QlikSense reporting requirements
- Understand data flow and feeder process inputs/dependencies to map out relevant reporting process that ensures that exposure, trading risks, FEV and returns are fully understood, captured and challenged where necessary.
- Develop Standard operating procedures (SOPs) which allow Market Risk LNG to deliver with a word class risk reporting framework.
- Developing deep business knowledge to document step-in and step-out procedures by the understanding of how potential improvements, new business / risk models or system changes will impact Market Risk Operation processes
- Establish, record and document a fit for purpose controls framework to manage Risk and reporting for Market Risk Operations as deemed necessary
- Communicate effectiveness of operational processes and fincaccial controls by engaging with auditors discussions on evidencing and proof points
- Providing deep knowledge to FO Market Risk operations teams to appropriately document and identify non-standard process requirements
- Attesting and structuring established or new controls processes appropriately within Market Risk Operations to ensure successful SOX and GRA attestation for activities
- Ideate complex improvements, influence business partners to address feeder process issues as well as eliminate manual workarounds, process step-outs, and leveraging technology
Skills & Requirements:
- A degree holder in Mathematics, Science, Finance or Economics is preferred
- 6+ years’ work experience in various financial positions, with experience of applying Trading risk and Financial management, process and controls principles in practice
- Strong understanding of options/non-linear instruments and their payoffs, risk-return, risks not captured in modelling
- Should be well-versed in sense-checking, updating inputs for options valuations including prices, volatilities’ surfaces and skews as well as financial/risk models
- Previous experience in deigning, operating and/or owing financial controls and/or other LOD2 controls
- Self motivated to search for information from within complex data and processes, bring in best practices from other parts of risk to make processes, checks and controls more effective
- Strong skills to influence and communicate a clear train of thought within the organization
- Understanding of Market Risk principles and working experience on a risk management desk is a prerequisite
- Ability to understand impact of changing risk environment on trading business and financial reporting
- Understanding of Trading Business along with their integration between ERPs and different ETRMS like Dex, Endur & Align additionally visualization tools such as Power BI, Qlik, Spotfire etc.
- The role involves extensive interactions with various stakeholders and therefore requires a combination of intellect, maturity, the strength of character, and an ability to earn respect
- Candidate should have a clear understanding of the SLMT business landscape and the trading relationship between entities.
- The role requires a person who has strong collaboration and analytical skills
- Finance and accounting skills including the ability to understand financial results and financial and management reports
- Experience with risk analysis, value-at-risk, financial derivatives, or physical energy markets
- Demonstrates the ability to work with a cross-functional work group
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity in problem-solving
- Build appropriate connections with other FO teams to improve operational excellence with a one Finance behavior.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.