Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Market Risk Analyst Shell Energy Asia
Job Family Group:
June 5, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Where you fit in
Shell Trading and Supply (T&S) is the world’s largest energy trading business and operates in every major energy market around the world. It supports the Shell group businesses by trading natural gas, electrical power, crude oil, refined products, biofuels, chemical feedstocks, freight, and environmental products. Shell Trading and Supply also manages one of the world's largest fleets of liquefied natural gas carriers and oil tankers and provides maritime expertise and logistics to Shell companies and external customers. Our aim is to create value for Shell’s shareholders, customers, and counterparties across the globe by forging successful partnerships that generate mutually beneficial commercial opportunities.
What’s the role?
The Market Risk Analyst is responsible for reviewing and providing assurance on the reasonableness of the overall book representation of the Southeast Asia (SEA) desk, ensuring that the price risk management activities of the desk are captured timely within the trading systems and that the resultant pricing exposures carry the relevant fair values consistent with internal mark to market standards.
The Market Risk Analyst is charged with understanding how the SEA business generates returns, what resources are consumed in the process and what price risks are taken in the process of generating cash and mark to market returns. The Market Risk Analyst is also expected to play an independent role from Commercial and identify inconsistencies or concerns in price risk measurement and management practices to the appropriate level of management.
- Understand the trading strategies employed by the desk, pricing exposures and P&L generated by the trade book and the key drivers of value generation.
- Develop effective relationships with Offshore Risk team to deliver as “One Team”. This includes working closely with Offshore Risk team on daily risk reports, with the objective of reviewing the reasonableness of mark to market valuations, positions, and value at risk (VaR).
- Understand key price indices used by the trade desk and construction of forward curves, facilitating a review of the forward curves, and proposing alternative data sources where warranted.
- Execute market risk controls under Shell Control Framework. This will also include limits review as well as design of new controls for new businesses/deal types.
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess risk/reward of the portfolio, including VAR back-testing/Stress Testing/Scenario Analysis.
- Collaborate with IT and other teams to identify, develop and implement market risk continuous improvement projects relating to the SEA desk.
What we need from you?
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following qualifications and skills touched by their experience:
- Degree in a quantitative discipline, preferably in Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or a related field. Preference for candidates with strong coding background.
- Relevant Gas & Power or Oil industry experience preferred, with background in derivatives or physical trading a distinct advantage.
- Strong understanding of trading, operations, risk and mid/back-office business processes, policies, procedures, and controls.
- Advanced grasp of trading deal structures, interpreting positions, P&L, mark to market and financial analysis
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines in a very fast-paced trading environment
- Ability to multitask with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to build and maintain positive stakeholder relationships
- Self-motivated individual who functions well in an unstructured environment.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
More About Shell in Singapore
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.