Media and Internal Communications Mgr
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
August 18, 2023
Posting Start Date:
CoS and Corporate Relations
What’s the role?
Shell Brasil Corporate Relations team help build a reputation for Shell as the energy company that really is Powering Progress by providing more and cleaner energy solutions, and to protect the company’s license to operate and grow in one of Shell plc’s most strategic and complex countries across many metrics, one with a volatile political environment, economic/regulatory challenges & social uncertainties. We do this by helping media, employees, and other important stakeholder groups to understand and interpret the company’s global strategy locally in an open, honest, and transparent way.
Support the Country Chair (CCh) and his Leadership Team (LT), the Country Coordination Team (CCT), the VP of Corporate Relations, and different businesses lines in preparing and deploying a compelling traditional and digital media and internal communications strategy to reflect peculiarities of a country known by its business complexity, the relevance of its media as a key stakeholder in shaping narratives, and Brazil’s influence as a regional – potentially and global – energy leader.
- Manage communication both internal and external across Shell’s three Brazil branches (Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, and Brasilia – headcount of approximately 700 pax) to ensure consistent message delivery for Shell brand reputation building and employee engagement, including facilitation of sessions with Shell’s global Executive Committee and other senior visitors.
- Deploy the local Media Relations strategy, policy, standards, guidelines, tools, and processes compliant with both the Disclosure Standard and the global Media Relations function. Play the role as Gatekeeper of internal and external communications – by having line of sight of executives speaking in external engagements and vetting messaging meant for external consumption in a highly volatile and polarized environment.
- Deploy the local Internal Communications strategy, policy, standards, guidelines, tools and processes, by delivering messaging relevant to local staff, in coordination with the global Internal Communications line. Deploy global elements of IC campaigns in the country, whilst respecting local sensitivities, identifying opportunities and threats. Foster local staff engagement and help implementing Employee Value Proposition (EVP) as the three offices in Brazil – Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, and Brasilia – receive a large number of new joiners.
- Relationship management of local, regional, and global media and Internal Comms stakeholders
- Accountable for all communication with media in Brazil as part of 24/7 global digital newsroom
- Conceive, develop, and execute compelling Corporate Comms content for Shell Brasil about all active business lines in Brazil (Upstream, IG, RES, NBS, etc) across all available Media Relations and IC channels, according to communications strategy and based on an in-depth understanding of Group strategy and country priorities
- Populate and manage IC news in the local Hub (Internal Comms) page.
- Develop local media content, in line with Shell strategy and CR priorities that consolidates Shell Brasil’s positive, differentiated reputation in support of business priorities in country/region, as legacy business lines strengthen and new ones emerge (NBS, trading, new energies)
- Advice to Country Chair, Country Coordination Team senior business leaders on Corporate Comms Strategy and manage formal media training to these senior leaders. Overall responsibility for organizing staff townhalls with Country Chair and senior visitors as needed. Drafting the weekly newsletter for staff, releasing CCh and CCT notes to staff as required.
- Overall responsibility for CCh speeches and briefings for media interviews.
- Management of Shell's disclosure obligations in line with the Group Disclosure Standard.
- Drafting leak protocols for NBDs and business milestones, as well as actively participating in coded projects when an internal or external communications angle is required.
- Being one of the main CR Brazil points of contact with Investor Relations and CR Advisors across different business lines and functions (Upstream, Integrated Gas, Renewable Energy Solutions, Nature Based Solutions, Projects & Technology, etc.).
- Serve as the main Public Information Officer (PIO) in the Shell Brazil Emergency Response Team and help the Shell Americas Response Team (SART).
- Liaise with Media Relations and Internal Communications peers in NOC Petrobras as well as in think-tanks, NGOs and other Shell regular stakeholders.
What we need from you?
- Must have legal authorization to work in Brazil on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Candidate must have at least 10 years of relevant experience
- Strong Network of media contacts.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Communication; preferably Journalism, Public Relations or alike
- Must be fluent in speaking and writing in English and Portuguese; Spanish is an added advantage.
- Skill in: Brand and Reputation Planning, Project Management, and Business Partner by Delivering Quality External Insights
- Mastery in: Creative and Engaging Storytelling, Stakeholder Sensing, and Engagement and Relationship Building
The world faces energy challenges that are becoming more complex each day. We’re looking for people who share our passion for taking on those challenges with cutting edge technology, innovative thinking and a commitment to properly managed risk. Shell develops and operates some of the largest and most complex projects in the world and we always endeavour to work at the leading edge of technical innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.