Soil & Groundwater Program Manager
Royal Dutch Shell
Health Safety Environment and Security
Job Family Group:
July 21, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in?
The Safety, Environment & Asset Management (SEAM) organization within Shell Projects and Technology (P&T) integrates activities and positions from existing lines of business (Integrated Gas, Downstream & Upstream) and central teams (Safety and Carbon and Environment, Asset Management Excellence). With a broad geographical footprint, this will enable the team to support Shell’s business & assets around the world.
VP Carbon and Environment (C&E) will be accountable for Group Environmental Framework, analytics and modelling in support of Net Zero Emissions and Net Carbon Footprint aspirations, delivery support to the businesses for limited, high impact carbon and environment aspects, standard environment and carbon products, solutions and opportunities (incl. lifecycle cost analysis), technical consultancy and/ or brokering environmental solutions, Carbon and Environment people capability & skillpool development, Environmental Partnerships, Greenhouse Gases (GHG), Soil and Groundwater, ecosystem services, circular economy, product stewardship, Carbon and Environment due diligence for New business development (NBD). This VPship is the business interface with Directorate Downstream.
What’s the role?
Soil and Groundwater Solutions (SGWS) is a team of world-class Soil and Groundwater experts providing innovative, sustainable, value driven soil and groundwater risk management solutions for Shell Classes of Business (COBs).
The role of the SGW Program Manager entails the following:
- Provides risk management solutions, collaborates to develop Advocacy strategies, manages contaminated land projects as well as due diligence requirements, manages contractor performance in areas of project delivery and HSSE, assesses required SGW competencies and supports knowledge transfer both internally and to our contractor community.
- Develops budgets for annual Targets and Resources (T&R) purposes and manage annual SGW third-party spends.
- Develops environmental liability estimates / provisions (i.e., lifecycle cost to closure) for all projects within portfolio.
The role will be based in India.
Specific accountabilities associated with the job are as follows:
Contractor performance and HSSE Management
Drive Goal Zero performance culture:
- At Level 2 (L2) environmental consultant companies, and their subcontractors, whilst also contributing to front line worker safety in all areas of the businesses we support.
- Establish project strategies, approve the deliverables, oversee the L2 and monitor costs, and delivery against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Key Actions (KAs).
- Ensure compliance with the SGW financial approvals procedures.
Internal and external stakeholder management
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal business stakeholders, be a TRUSTED ADVISOR for Mobility (GM, Network Delivery Manager (NDM), Network teams) and for other Classes of Business (COBs) within his/her portfolio.
- Develop deep understanding of Shell India business drivers to develop appropriate risk management strategies, manage and minimize current and future liabilities.
- Lead development and management of relationships with external stakeholders (i.e., regulators and communities) to appropriately manage technical and non-technical risks in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
Risk Management Solutions
- Identify and drive adoption of best practices and continuous improvement for managing SGW risk across his/her area of responsibility.
- Oversee and ensure proper implementation of the technical assurance process with SGWS Technical Solutions.
- Ensure that Shell environmental standards and applicable regulatory requirements are met on all projects.
- Support and delivery of strategies, standards, and tools that guide business in understanding and managing risk.
Risk Based Site Asset Management
- Develop risk-based management strategies for reducing soil and groundwater liability in a portfolio. That includes due diligence activities, sites in litigation and demolition work.
- Ensure Strategic Environmental Team (SET) sites are identified and appropriately managed and resourced when required.
Project- & programmatic level:
- Lead development and management of relationships with Indian regulators at National and State levels, and other external stakeholders to deliver cost effective risk management strategies and appropriately manage environment and reputation risks.
- These advocacy strategies may include elements from the broader Shell, and respective countries remit.
- Strong knowledge of Indian laws and regulations is required, including specific local challenges (widespread reliance on groundwater as a source of potable and domestic water, etc).
Competency assessment, Assurance and Knowledge transfer
Internal – Shell:
- Support Market by educating relevant staff on the SGW WorkDay Learning curriculum requirements to ensure they have the appropriate competence for the job they hold.
- Understand the SGW elements containing in Class of Business (COB) tools such as the Retail Network Development Compass.
- Direct reports: 0
- Individual Performer.
- Financial accountability: Develop budgets for annual T&R purposes. The Program Manager is accountable to manage these funds and communicate trends to the accountable budget holder. We anticipate approximately 3-4 million USD per year (combination of opex and provision).
- Geographical area of responsibility: India.
- Projects: Estimated 50-100 per year.
- Primarily supporting the Mobility business in India.
- Environmental consultants: Deliver SGW program through 3 external consultants in country.
What we need from you?
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in science or engineering disciplines such as Environmental, Chemical, Civil, Geology, Earth Sciences with 5-10 years of demonstrated experience in environmental management with experience in contaminated land management (e.g., site/risk assessment, remediation, liability quantification) and project management.
- Master’s or PHD degree is a plus.
- Demonstrates HSSE leadership and commitment.
- Managing complex sites with high reputational and non-technical risks.
- Ability to lead, influence, persuade and deliver in a manner suitable to various stakeholder groups.
- Negotiation, advocacy, and stakeholder (internal and external) engagement skills.
- Working closely with Shell India stakeholders to understand business objectives and delivering soil and groundwater projects within those objectives in a timely, fit for purpose and cost-effective manner.
- Analysis and driving decision making with limited data.
- A proven track record in continuous Improvement; Greenbelt certification will be an advantage.
- Team player with interpersonal and relationship management skills which are aligned with Shell values of dignity and respect and clearly demonstrate the leadership attributes.
- A broad understanding of the Shell India business drivers, in particular Mobility.
- Proven success in delivering and managing change.
- Candidates with Continuous Improvement (CI) accreditation(s) are seen as a plus.
- Travel is expected to be within India and occasionally within Asia.
- Working across multiple regulatory jurisdictions, establishing credibility and trusted working relationships with regulators, and driving risk-based approaches.
- Within agreed global approach and guidelines, developing new ways of working with consultants to drive mutually beneficial collaborative working relationships.
- Balancing and articulating environmental risks and liabilities.
- Strategic thinking: translating strategy into compelling actions.
- Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working in a virtual organization.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.