Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Integrated Gas and Upstream
What’s the role?
The Well Engineer will support Deepwater GoM in front end well design & planning in one of the following areas of the well lifecycle: Well Construction (drilling), Well Completion, Well Intervention and Well Abandonment to support safe and flawless well design and delivery. The Well Engineer plays a key role in a multi-functional team supporting project development in line with Shell standards, functional requirements and project drivers with a continuous improvement mindset to identify and realize project opportunities.
The Well Engineer is responsible for Well Designs in accordance with the well delivery process and follows design and assurance requirements. The well engineer incorporates learnings from previous experience into future designs, leads value creation events throughout the well delivery process to improve well design and implements new technologies as applicable. The well engineer utilizes available digital tools to facilitate workflow efficiencies throughout detailed design.
The Well Engineer will be assigned to a Wells project delivery team with defined work scope in the drilling, completion, or well intervention team. Specific project placement will be done to best match skills, business need, and candidate’s feedback.
More specific responsibilities include:
- The Well Engineer reports to the Well Engineering Team Lead.
- Based out of New Orleans or Houston. Office based with the expectation of offshore trips when required for critical Well operations.
- Responsible for developing well engineering solutions for projects working with the prospect team to realize ideas and plans through Shell’s Well Delivery Process.
- Ensuring all well activities are budgeted, planned & designed to applicable standards, regulatory requirements, internal policies and full consideration of HSSE & sustainability goals
- Supports translation of well design into reality by managing the contributions of different vendors, coordinating well material and providing site support of planned operations as required. Creates Well Acceptance Criteria to support operational decision making.
- Lead and/or participate in technical and business initiatives that furthers the capabilities of the organization, drive continuous improvement, to enhance well designs & well execution
- Document, collect, and distribute learnings across the portfolio to stimulate continuous learning within the organization.
- Supports portfolio wide technology development.
- Works with other Wells Engineers, execution teams, and central engineering teams to support development and implement standard work packages from contributions to Well design through execution; and communicating learnings to ensure continuous improvement.
- Supports execute on paper exercises, after action reviews, and well handover.
- Shop Visits/Audits/Vendor Engagement with a Quality Assurance approach
- Supports RCFA investigations, integrating contract management teams and subject matter experts.
Role Development Opportunities & Requirements:
- Successful candidate will participate in the Shell Advanced Technical Program and complete industry recognized Shell Round-I and Round-II training and exams.
- The SATP program requires a candidate to start in an office-based Well Engineer role followed by a field based rotational assignment (~18 – 24 months long) to develop core Well Execution, HSE leadership, and operations competencies. Following Round, I & II training, the Well Engineer will have the opportunity to pursue additional Well Engineering roles or Wellsite Leadership roles.
Note: Applicants who have sufficient and relevant experience as a Wellsite Supervisor / Wellsite leader may not be required to perform field assignment.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or any related field with at least three (3) years of relevant experience.
- Experience in Drilling (Well Construction), Well Completion, or Well Intervention with a proven track record in well design, planning and execution delivery.
- Commitment to HSE culture which promotes conversations about Process Safety, Personal Safety and MOC (Management of Change) each day.
- Strong stakeholder integration and influencing skills. Proven ability to build relationships effectively and to deliver across teams and multiple disciplines.
- Ability to deliver high-quality complex projects.
- Have proven experience integrating technical and business activities on multi-discipline projects.
- Design Experience with use of Wells Design tools such as WELLCAT, WELLPLAN, COMPASS etc. is a plus.
- Ability to acquire IWCF certification.
- People Skills: strong relationship skills and ability to influence and coach across the natural team.
- Be responsible for own development and will execute an individual development plan agreed with the Well Engineering Team Lead.
- Ability to work and manage across a diverse, multi-cultural environment. Maximizing value to the assigned asset while embracing HSSE and E&C standards.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in among other exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of oil products, chemicals, electric power, renewables and energy solutions.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards f performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment processes, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.