Bunker Buyer Americas
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
August 3, 2023
Posting Start Date:
What’s the role?
The Shipping Industry is moving towards cleaner fuel alternatives such as LNG, Methanol and Biofuels. There is also growing appetite to manage carbon exposure through various management techniques and create a more sustainable footprint for the future of the freight business. Bunker Sourcing team members will play a key role in minimizing value leakage throughout these changes and will support forming and implementing the bunker purchasing strategy for their region.
This position is responsible to carry out bunker sourcing activities across the Americas regions, supporting the Global Crude, Products and LNG Freight Trading businesses.
Freight Trading in Shell continues to evolve with a growing amount of external voyage charters, significant changes in regulatory policy, a move towards cleaner fuel choices and tough market conditions which require all industry players to seek out improved technological and operational solutions to add value.
Globally, the bunker procurement team procures 2 Mln mt of fuel oil and gasoil to bunker time-chartered vessels for the Products, Crude and LNG freight desks. This role will specifically focus on the Americas.
This role will require strong collaboration with associated Commercial teams within Crude, Products and LNG Freight Trading and alignment & support of the strategies of these teams.
The specific requirements of this role are to
- Source bunkers both through the Shell marine fuel network and the external market in most cost-efficient way, fully aligned to HSSE, Compliance and business objectives
- Partnership with Freight Traders and Operators in assessing business opportunities by providing economics and fuel availability to ascertain the ideal bunkering location
- Develop solutions to reduce bunker costs jointly with Freight Traders and Operators
- Establish and articulate a market view to Freight Traders & Operators and leadership.
- Establish strong relationships both internally and externally
- Bunker suppliers and build long term and strategic partnerships with key suppliers
- Key stakeholders and manage interfaces across Freight Trading, Operations and Maritime Assurance
- Identify and negotiate claims arising from bunker purchase contracts e.g. short deliveries, specification shortfalls. Liaise with Claims Team on major claims.
The candidate can also look forward to the following development opportunities:
- Develop and build long term and strategic partnerships with key suppliers to support future business development plans
- Be a key contributor of the bunker sourcing strategy which is refreshed annually in line with business objectives
- Identify and develop Continuous Improvement opportunities to streamline and improve performance
Due to the nature of the role it is critical that the candidate has the right focus to manage the significant potential exposure in both HSSE and Compliance.
The incumbent will be expected to be available outside of office hours in-case of certain issues given shipping is a 24/7 business.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Minimum 3 years of professional work experience, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 or more years’ experience with commercial trading operations, bunker broker or bunker trader experience encouraged
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to influence stakeholders to make challenging calls.
- Knowledge and experience dealing with the potential risks associated with the bunker category (e.g. HSSE, Ethics & Compliance, supply shortage)
- Proven ability to manage relationship and communicate effectively, proactively and professionally with regional stakeholders.
- Strong decision-making ability and comfortable to work with limited information on hand.
- Strong commercial acumen and proven ability to work independently and thrive within a dynamic, fast paced and business critical trading environment.
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.