Technical Safety Engineer
Royal Dutch Shell
Health Safety Environment and Security
Job Family Group:
July 26, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in
You’ll be part of the Major Hazards Management (MHM) Team, that focusses on event scenarios and effective risk mitigations following a loss of containment. You will co-ordinate and lead MHM input into capital projects/assets with current focus on the hydrogen and other renewable energy initiatives.
What’s the role?
As Technical Safety Engineer, you’ll cover broad range of Major Hazards Management activities from supporting projects and assets to manage process safety risks to developing and implementing new tools and techniques to assess and mitigate major accident hazards.
More specifically, you’ll:
- Lead on delivery of MHM technical safety support to capital projects and assets
- Contribute to continuous improvement strategy of major hazard application to support the safe design, facility siting and operation of projects and assets
- Provide technical assurance of major hazard studies undertaken by 3rd party contractors
- Address complex technical safety dilemmas and facilitate generation of pragmatic solutions/mitigations that manage risks to ALARP
- Provide SME input into development of technical standards, guides and other associated risk assessment techniques
- Support continuous improvement activities within team and wider Technical Safety Engineering discipline
- Maintain view on external developments in major hazard management
- Maintain relationship and represent Shell in industry meetings and/or joint industry projects
- Provide expert coaching and guidance to businesses, assets and projects
- Develop training material and support delivery of training courses
- Mentor and coach less experienced colleagues on Technical Safety competencies
- Actively seek and support internal collaboration within Process Safety and Technical Safety Engineering
What we need from you
- Degree (or higher) in scientific or engineering discipline
- Substantial Major Hazards Management experience in oil & gas industry
- Demonstrated professional competence and organizational skills with ability to lead multiple activities
- Deep technical understanding of hazard consequence and quantitative risk assessment models (experience can be based on either Shell or other industry tools)
- Good understanding of industry and/or Shell practices for facility siting and onshore site layout with respect to Major Accident Hazards
- Strong aptitude for Learner Mindset
- Ability to recognize underlying issues based on experience and provide pragmatic solutions to technical safety dilemmas
- Experience of applying Technical Safety in a Capital Project environment is advantageous
- Ability to engage and effectively communicate at all levels inside and outside Shell and within different cultural settings
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to challenge, build internal and external trust-based relationships
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above. We still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone applies, when they don’t feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation and life experiences to apply.
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.