Senior Market Risk Analyst
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
What is the role
As a Senior Market Risk Analyst, you will be responsible of the following duties:
- Act as Senior Market Risk Advisory focal point for front-office and senior stakeholders
- Develop strong relationships with Shell Energy Americas commercial counterparts and possess deep end-to-end understanding of trading strategies, associated exposures and future growth aspirations for the trade desk supported
- Understand supply and demand fundamentals, including regional/locational price differences, fundamental drivers of changes in these spreads, historical market direction and trends/underlying fundamental causes
- Ensure adherence to mandated exposure and risk limits and provide guidance on actions to be taken to reduce risk if necessary
- Design and analyze independent stress-test evaluations/scenario analysis of the portfolio that align with current risk-appetite and asses if limits are “right-sized” for growth
- Evaluate new business opportunities by providing independent deal assessment including strategic/portfolio fit, limits impact evaluation, analysis of portfolio performance in various scenarios, identification of risks associated with the new deal, and back-testing strategies in collaboration with other Market Risk groups and the Deal Valuation team. Where applicable, provide peer review and challenge to deal proposals for other T&S businesses
- Regularly and independently evaluate known key deal inputs and identify/document shortcomings with internal evaluations
- Analyze performance or hedge effectiveness/back-tests of trading strategies, identify multiple factors driving position and profit and loss changes and provide insight to stakeholders and consumers of risk data for context
- Provide daily, insightful, commentary of key portfolio activity including market intelligence, exposure changes and new deal activity
- Develop and refine the fair economic valuation approach and provide steer on usage of market risk reserves
- Collaborate with other support functions (e.g. Finance, Technical Accounting) for deal support and general portfolio queries
- Support internal/external audit requirements
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- 5 or more years working experience related to power and/or natural gas trading
- Bachelor’s Degree; preferred focus in Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Science, or other relevant field
- Exposure to long-term energy transactions, tolling agreements, renewable power purchase agreements, capacity agreements, contractual flexibilities, and non-linear products
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), including an ability to concisely explain complex concepts to non-specialist stakeholders in terms of intent and application
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.