IT Operations Engineer - HPC Engineering
Royal Dutch Shell
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
August 21, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in
High Performance Computing (HPC) in Shell is used extensively in the Upstream part of the business (seismic processing, reservoir modeling, and R&D). Shell is actively exploring for hydrocarbons across the globe. The HPC & TI team brings business value with innovative, agile, reliable and secure operational HPC and Technical Infrastructure services.
What’s the role
IT Operations Engineer in HPC Engineering focuses on administrating the hardware and systems software used for High Performance Computing. This includes keeping existing hardware and middleware ecosystem running reliably and securely either, directly or by working with other teams, testing, and installing new hardware and system software, decommissioning old hardware and software. In this role, you will work with colleagues and users across Shell globally.
Aside from above, you are expected for the following:
- Provide support for HPC systems, storage, networks, tools and applications based on the assigned duties
- Support and maintain the simulation software ecosystem and tooling including middleware, systems software and operating systems; Administration of High-Performance computing software and middleware ecosystem
- Compliance with information risk management policies and change control policies and procedures in a distributed computing environment
- Monitoring and tuning of HPC environments focusing on HPC Scheduling, Queueing configurations, Workflow optimization etc.
- Producing and maintaining technical documentation for all the HPC components including portals, Dashboards
- Responsible for HPC service health, SLA metrics monitored through ServiceNow
- Provide application support and troubleshooting for HPC regional compute for Shell globally
- Work as a team player with HPC technical SMEs maintaining Shells HPC ecosystem and sharing and maintaining knowledge with other staff to ensure business continuity
What we need from you
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and have around 5-9 years of experience in IT with relevant experience in High Performance Computing industry
- At least 4 years of experience in a large Linux HPC environment with hands-on expertise in supporting the HPC middleware environment for scientific research.
- Significant HPC middleware experience and knowledge of HPC systems, network, and storage; HPC applications Administration, configuration, patching and troubleshooting
- Strong technical skills in the following HPC areas: Programming and scripting skills: shell scripting, Perl, Python, SQL etc.
- Administration and configuration of High-Performance Computing schedulers like SLURM, IBM LSF etc; Coding and automation of middleware tasks in a globally spread HPC ecosystem
- Addressing customer requirements related to simulation processes, workflow, and accounting in HPC with good understanding of the cost and chargeback model
- Configuration and Maintenance of HPC portals, Monitoring Dashboards, HPC Accounting etc.; Ability to understand and deploy monitoring for the HPC components
- Information Risk Management compliance checking in a Linux environment
- Good relationship skills; work well with multiple stakeholders across the organization
- Experience in contributing to Agile based projects and activities
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space, where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether, that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.