Senior SRE - Data Platform Ops
Royal Dutch Shell
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
June 27, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Do you want to be part of an Operations team supporting few Shells next generation Data Platform? Do you want to work with the latest technologies and in a DevOps, Agile Product environment? Join our Digital & Data Platform Support Operations team and help shape the future through #ITOpsofthe future.
Where you fit in
Senior SRE – Data Platform Ops will join a team of engineers who partner with development teams with the goal of improving products, features, and flow reliability. The scope covers service management activities, Hybrid on-premises and Cloud operational landscapes with many integration points; and the integration of the interdependent services of diverse internal and external service providers into end-to-end services which deliver value to Shell.
What’s the role
As part of their core responsibilities, you will build tools that aid automation in managing IT operations and support. As such, you’ll enable automation for some of the following key functions - Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) across SDLC phases; Monitoring; Alerts; Incident Response; Infrastructure Component Provisioning and Patching.
- We are looking for a passionate resource who needs to be agile enough to wear a technical hat and manage operations simultaneously.
- It is essential to have excellent communication and coordination skills to successfully integrate various functions in a coordinated manner and deliver the responsibilities to meet operate objectives.
- Manage change (technical/functional) or as changes to the roadmap are proposed, lead the impact analysis, considering short and long-term trade-offs, benefits, and risks, then synthesize and communicate options that will help the leadership facilitate decision-making.
- Ensure on-time delivery of committed deliverables and monitoring the business solutions, ensuring standard compliance.
- Ensure that services provided by third parties are secure and reliable while exercising contractual clauses to ensure key KPIs (e.g. Critical Service Levels, Key Measures) are upheld.
- Increasingly responsible to manage vendor operations teams to ensure appropriate management and change to the infrastructure services provided to the end user organization.
- Works independently under broad managerial supervision. Delivers the work as assigned, applying the work procedures, frameworks. Guidance provided for those tasks where there are limited precedents available.
What we need from you
- Bachelor’s degree related to IT and at least 10 years of experience working in an operations team role closely related to the objectives described in this job pack.
- Excellent knowledge / understanding of principles of Support delivery (ITIL)and what factors contribute to a great digital experience leveraging DevOps.
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure Environment, Azure integrations, and deployment of its virtualization suite. (Our Tech stack: Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, Azure SQL, Azure Analysis services, Azure Data Lake, SQL, CI/CD/ DevOps and more)
- Experience of working in agile ways of working and Product Management
- Strategic problem solving – proactive / ‘can do’ focus with a clear approach to solution review and selection
- Excellent communicator across all channels and with all levels of staff
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space, where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether, that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.