Senior Data Engineer- Azure (ADF, Data lake)
Royal Dutch Shell
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Join the number One Global Lubricants supplier in the world and be part of the team that helps in shaping up the digital and the IDT strategy which delights our customers in over 100 countries across every sector.
If you are looking for a place where you can gain hands-on exposure and have direct impact, then this is the place for you!
Where you fit
Shell’s Projects and Technology (P&T) business exists to make the delivery of our strategies and the growth of our company possible. Our team develops the advanced products and technologies Shell needs to meet customer demand. Our solutions help our partners grow the LNG, Gas and Power businesses, deepen the integration of Manufacturing, Chemicals and Trading, and maximise the competitiveness of our Upstream business.
What’s the role?
As a Data Engineer in Shell, you will create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture and also will assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
You will also identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
More specifically, your role will include:
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal ETL/ELT of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure, AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other KPI metrics.
- Keep our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centres and Azure, AWS regions.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
What we need from you
We are looking for a candidate with 8+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree and at least have a Seniority level in their previous workplace.
They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with Azure: ADF, ADLS, Databricks, PySpark, Spark SQL, Stream Analytics, SQL DW, COSMOS DB, Analysis Services, Azure Functions, Serverless Architecture, ARM Templates.
- Experience with relational SQL/NoSQL databases, file handlings and API integrations
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, SQL, Scala, Spark-SQL etc.
- Nice to have experience with any of these toolset like Kafka, Stream sets, Alteryx, HANA, SLT and BODS
Skills – Nice to Have
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines using ADF
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured datasets
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of transforming, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Strong team player with organizational and communication skills
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
What's in it for you?
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.