Senior Nautical Advisor
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
June 27, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Make a difference
Do you like helping people? Do you like to make people smile? Are you passionate about putting people in a better place? Then you may have what it takes to join our amazing team?
What is the role
If you have a keen interest in the Energy Transition and safety in design and are energized by the opportunity to share and deliver Shell’s visions to become a safe net-zero emission energy business by 2050 then this could be an opportunity for you. You will be empowered to provide Nautical support and assurance to Shells Maritime projects and to create and introduce differentiating technology that enables new business and ensures Shell remains the safest, most cost competitive and innovative energy company.
Shipping & Maritime Technology (SMT) includes the Maritime Design & Engineering (MDE) Discipline, whose purpose is to:
- Develop & maintain Shell’s Maritime Design Standards
- Provides design and engineering support and assurance to maritime projects and operational assets, providing clear guidance for achieving effective compliance with the mandatory requirements of the HSSE Control Framework.
- Develop new technology that supports Shells strategy
Nautical design sub discipline includes, Navigation, Mooring, Ship/Shore interface and cargo transfer relating to the following assets:
- Ships (LNG, LH2, LCO2, oil, chemical, Inland and support vessels)
- Terminals, berths, and offtake facilities, including simulations and QRA/Safety Zone assessment reviews, attending HAZOP workshops etc. as required.
- Bunker Vessels (LNG/LH2)
- FPSO’s + FSO
- FSRU’s + FSU’s + FLNG’s. Ship-to-ship transfers
- Ship/Shore interface – Pilot and Port Authorities including Tugs and mooring gangs. Local regulations, emergency procedures.
STS is a division of SHELL TRADING US COMPANY LIMITED (STUSCO), which is part of ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC. Shipping & Maritime is divided into separate divisions, with STS/6 being Shipping and Maritime Americas.
- Provide Nautical design assurance for projects and operational assets
- Contribute to the development of Nautical design and engineering standards within the Groups Maritime design and Engineering Standards (MDES)
- Develop and continually improve Nautical project/design assurance processes, guidance and tools
- Represent Shell in applicable Industry bodies to support and deliver Shells strategy
- Maintain knowledge of upcoming changes in legislation, how they affect ship design and methods for compliance.
- Maintain overview of ongoing projects in order to exploit synergies, best practices and technology innovations.
- Ensure that all advice/requirements and deliverables passed to the business comply with relevant internal and external standards and BMS process.
- Ensure that competitive advantages within other Shell lines of business are effectively replicated in Shipping & Maritime
- Drive continuous improvement (CI). CI scope of activity involves cross-organizational and complex deployment.
Work with Maritime Operational Assurance (MOA) to facilitate effective assessment of 3rd party LNG terminals in the project phase, to determine their acceptability for use by the Shell Group
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis
- Bachelor’s degree in Nautical Science is preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of experience as Command/Senior Officer on LNG and/or Oil tankers.
- A minimum of Class 1 (Deck) Certificate of Competency and/or relevant/equivalent
- Experience with LNG, to include LNG Carriers, LNG Bunkering, terminals, and regasification projects, is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of marine activities, including offshore and/or port and terminal operations management
- A professional with high technical and management capabilities in Oil and/or Gas marine operations with leadership, inter-personal and organizational skills.
- Able to demonstrate a flexible approach and be able to handle nautical issues encountered during conceptual design, detailed design, test and commissioning, and operation.
- High technical and management capabilities in Oil and/or Gas marine operations with leadership, inter-personal and organizational skills.
- Professional with ability to work with minimal supervision demonstrating management and negotiating skills.
- Lead various aspects of discussions with manufacturers with regard to design, testing and operation of equipment.
- Positively influence projects in assuring the development and operation phase is conducted as safely as practicable using innovative solutions. Provide fit for purpose solutions to enhance the efficiency and safety of established activities by application of appropriate standards and/or guidelines for marine risk management in line with Group and Industry guidelines and practices
- Demonstrable capability to network with companies in the marine industry so as to keep abreast of developments in the relevant technology areas and feed this into Group projects.
If you don’t see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences to apply.
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, while managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you in finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorized Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.