Sr Researcher Solar PV
Royal Dutch Shell
Research and Development
Job Family Group:
May 31, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Shell is working with our customers and across sectors to accelerate the transition to net-zero emissions. This requires development of new business opportunities, technologies, and technology areas. We welcome an experienced Solar Technology expert to help realize our target to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050. The Senior Researcher Solar Technology will be a member of the Renewable Power Generation Technology team in the Power organization of PTX, which will play a significant role in creating future renewable energy options for Shell.
Where you fit in
In Power Technology you will drive decarbonization by electrification through a Solar Technology Program working with teams of experts in the different areas of Renewable Power. Key internal customer for the Solar Technology Program is Onshore Renewable Power Generation.
What is the role
The role of the Senior Researcher Solar Technology will be to support the Solar Technology Program in delivering continuous business driven innovation for Shell’s Renewables business, across short-, medium- and long-term spectra. The successful candidate will work to embed and enhance Power Technology capability in China. Strategic objectives are:
- Technology driven LCOE reduction
- Technology for 24/7 green electrons
- Technology risk management
- Technology to open new markets
- Addressing societal license to operate issues
- Advance Shell’s Solar Technology capabilities in strong collaboration with the key stakeholders across Shell
- Deliver China Solar Technology insights for global Shell Solar activities
- Participate in appropriate stakeholder engagement and communication to ensure Shell is fully prepared to exploit new opportunities in Solar energy as they emerge.
- Value creation from existing and new collaborations with academic and commercial partners in China
- Engage with business stakeholders to validate strategic business cases and identify benefits from technology and innovation activities. Proactively look for additional benefits to be delivered by taking advantage of systems, processes, and data already in place or being deployed
- Provide advanced technical support to the Renewable Power Generation business and anticipating its technology needs
- Drive HSSE excellence for in the context of the Solar Technology Program with special emphasis on work conducted externally at research universities and third-party labs.
- Support technology evaluations and support to technical due diligence efforts from the Renewables and Energy Solutions business, Shell Ventures, and GameChanger
The Senior Researcher Solar Technology will build or possess unique mature relationships with external (focus market: China) and internal stakeholders on a working level in the global Renewable Power community. Domestic travel in support of External Technology Collaborations will be required. Extended travel between the different R&D hubs to align activities may be a component of the job.
What we need from you
- 10+ years of experience in Solar Module Technology (forward-looking roadmap development)
- Understanding of the cost structures and technologies in the solar energy landscape
- Market scanning experience
- Track record in managing technology development activities
- Capable of effective and impactful communications across topics, audiences, and formats at all organizational levels
- Capable of developing a broad internal and external network to stay abreast of the latest developments
- Ability to link business drivers to deep technical understanding and vice versa – business case development
- Strong team player whilst also ability to act autonomously
- Demonstrated commitment to HSSE
- Proven eagerness and ability to build expertise in a fast-evolving area
- Science or engineering background in a relevant field of interest to solar PV
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.