Manager AI and ML
Royal Dutch Shell
Research and Development
Job Family Group:
May 30, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
Where you fit
Shell’s Artificial Intelligence team is responsible for developing and delivering AI technologies to enable the energy transition. We sit within the Computational Science and Digital Innovation (CSDI) group, a high-performing organisation of technology experts, focused on innovation, which includes AI, data science, computational science, Internet of Things, blockchain, augmented reality and other capabilities. We are a friendly, values-driven team who are passionate about applying technology to deliver results and speed the energy transition.
This role is based out of the Shell Technology Centre Bangalore, which houses colleagues from across CSDI and other technology areas including our research laboratories in catalysis and chemical processing. Visit our webpage to learn more about what we do:
What’s the role?
As the Manager for Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) you will lead a team of data scientists who focus on innovating and solving business use cases through researching, developing, and applying AI technologies. As a Technical Manager you will also be responsible for setting the strategy and vision in AI application and innovation for the team. Therefore, you will need to demonstrate an aptitude and passion for combining excellent team and people management skills and the technical credibility to drive the development of innovative and high-value programmes in this domain.
In terms of people management, you will lead the India-based AI Team with responsibility for the team’s performance and development. This means planning and developing strong AI / data science skills within the team through hiring promising candidates, and through mentoring and identifying training and development requirements. We expect strong growth of this team in order to meet the needs of our expanding global portfolio, and you will be critical to achieving this, both in bringing in new talent and in developing the leadership potential of current team members. You will create a positive learning culture and encourage work of high quality. You will also work with colleagues in our Information Technology (IT) group, as well as those from other AI and data science teams, to help develop, document and implement policies and procedures to create the right environment for the team to deliver successfully. You should be capable of coaching new team leads and supporting their development, as well as supporting individual contributors.
In terms of methodology, you will be responsible for building and managing key programmes and the associated portfolio of projects, including having primary responsibility for developing a healthy pipeline of new use cases. This will require building relationships with business stakeholders, understand their strategies and pain points, and working with them to identify opportunities where AI could improve business performance. Projects should focus on successfully applying the most promising academic research and open-source breakthroughs to Shell’s use cases. You should maintain a balanced and coherent portfolio, with a focus on high-value initiatives, and be capable of establishing and managing a network of key stakeholders across Shell. To achieve this, you will have the ability to influence beyond your authority and engage with key decisionmakers across our technology group, IT and lines of business. You will also explore and set up collaborations with other internal data science teams, as well as external partners, in order to help deliver more effectively. We have an ecosystem of third parties we work with, including universities, technology partners, and other companies, and leveraging this network will be key to enable delivery.
On a day-to-day basis, you will support your team with line management duties, helping remove blockers and providing coaching and guidance on best practices. You will help senior members of the team translate business needs into technical solutions, providing high-level guidance and oversight and ensuring the team focuses on solutions that add value to end users. You must be able to act as a tech lead and will spend a substantial part of your time leading a small number of projects in which you will be the tech lead and you will be involved daily, so you must be capable of setting the technical direction and of assessing the technical quality of the team’s work. Prior expertise in running a team of data scientists in this space is therefore essential. You will also provide thought leadership in AI innovation and be responsible for championing the team’s work both internally and externally through talks, effective marketing materials, and through leading a community of interested users in this space.
You will be responsible for ensuring that we apply best practices in research and development and that we deliver solutions that add value to end users. You will further grow the capabilities and expertise of the teams in AI / advanced Machine Learning more generally, applied across a number of areas. Prior expertise in AI and its application across a variety of domains is therefore essential. You will be working with stakeholders and subject matter experts from the Shell businesses and functions, as well as external strategic partners, both commercial and academic.
You should be comfortable working with a global organisation, and will be responsible for helping to connect the India AI team with the rest of the world. You will have the opportunity to travel, but frequent travel is not required or expected.
Your further accountabilities are:
People skills & development:
- You will be responsible for the line management of a team of AI data scientists, finding ways to empower them to solve problems and remove blockers regularly. You will create clarity, generate energy, and help them to deliver successfully.
- You will be responsible for hiring, attracting and retaining talent in this area, with a strong expectation of team growth over the next few years.
- You will champion, role model and embed the team’s culture within and outside the AI team.
- You will recruit and nurture a diverse and inclusive team.
- You will coach and guide your direct reports helping them reach their development goals.
- You will be responsible for the overall agenda and portfolio strategy for your team, with the goal of providing a coherent vision and a roadmap for the portfolio of projects in this area. You will work closely with business stakeholders and senior experts from the AI team to develop this portfolio.
- You will be responsible for building a number of key research programmes to further mature and apply these technologies to use cases of strategic importance to Shell.
- You will influence business value outcomes both in terms of dollar value generation as well as carbon reduction through effective use of AI technology.
- You will partner with a wide variety of IT and business stakeholders to ensure a smooth and steady pipeline of projects and their transition from research to productionisation.
- You will establish technology partnerships with complementary companies and/or research institutions when beneficial to our use cases or capability development.
- You will provide periodic updates to senior management, and the role will involve routine interaction with stakeholders, requiring credible senior communication skills.
- You will rely on your ability to build trusted relationships and positively influence in order to overcome challenges and deliver priorities.
- You will help build AI competency and awareness within Shell and promote a culture of innovation and collaboration by cultivating a community of users in this space across organizational boundaries.
- You will represent Shell externally at workshops and conferences, and in negotiations with our commercial partners and clients.
Technical standards and innovation:
- You will provide guidance and thought leadership in AI innovation.
- You will ensure a balanced portfolio between swift value delivery and cutting-edge innovation.
- You will support the team to incorporate, leverage, and adapt cutting-edge AI technology into real-world problems for business units in Shell.
What we need from you
- Masters and/or PhD degree is highly preferred in a technical subject relating to Artificial Intelligence or Data Science.
- 8+ years of industry work experience (which could include time on PhD work where applicable).
- Demonstrated experience building and managing a high-performing team of data scientists, with at least 5 direct reports.
- Proven ability to lead a portfolio of projects with a strategic mindset to see the big picture and focus on high-value initiatives.
- Proven experience of leading use case and value delivery in AI or data science research or product delivery as a technical lead.
- Proven experience working with AI technologies such as Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, and Deep Learning
- Proven experience of working in an agile way with natural teams.
- Evidence of community building and mentorship.
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to influence beyond your authority.
- Prior experience with managing remote teams across time zones and locations is desirable but not required.
What you can expect from us
- A friendly, collaborative, and supportive global AI leadership team who are committed to your success.
- Strong support to develop and deliver in all aspects of the role, including portfolio development, team management, and stakeholder engagement.
- Committed coaching and mentoring to enable your own professional growth and success.
- Time and budget for your own training and personal development.
- Opportunities for career growth within Shell.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.