Senior Fraud Investigator
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
May 30, 2023
Posting Start Date:
What’s the role?
The Senior Fraud Investigator will be accountable for the following:
Fraud Prevention & Detection
- Lead proactive fraud detection investigations and activities concerning at-risk or high-risk businesses, locations, or processes.
- Perform ongoing assessment of investigation outcomes and other relevant data feeds, such as audit and assurance outcomes, to identify opportunities for proactive investigation where fraud mechanisms may be replicated elsewhere in the Group.
- Support fraud prevention activities to map and assess the effectiveness of current controls and mitigation measures in place to address key fraud risks, with a view to addressing gaps to potential and strengthening the fraud control framework.
- Support activities to further embed fraud risk awareness and risk assessment within the Group, including delivery of training, development of training material and fraud risk matrix.
- Collaborate with Data Analytics/Operations resource to develop fraud monitoring/hunting capabilities utilising multiple data sources.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with departments responsible for key fraud controls (such as Finance Operations, Contracting and Procurement & IT) to build and develop fraud prevention and detection capacity.
- Must be able to conduct, i.e., plan and execute, investigations into possible violations of the Shell Code of Conduct, Shell General Business Principles, Ethics and Compliance manual, company policies, and relevant laws. The role requires the collection and analysis of evidence, conducting subject and witness interviews and writing of investigation reports.
- Must be experienced in conducting (confrontational) subject and witness interviews and applying different interview techniques.
- Must be experienced in individually writing high quality, fact-based, concise investigation reports, which should also meet the required BID format and standards.
- Must be able to identify accounting and internal control weaknesses and determine the quantum of potential and actual loss.
Learning from Incidents
- Support delivery of Learning from Code of Conduct Incidents to senior leaders, including supporting causal learning reviews of past investigations.
- Influence business follow up actions and drive learning on control framework changes in the organisation.
What we need from you
We are keen to hear from candidates with extensive experience conducting corporate or criminal investigations into fraud or financial crime, or substantial experience as a qualified forensic accountant.
Besides this, we would like to see the following qualifications and skills touched by your experience:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with the ability to understand complex situations, handle large amounts of data, and cut through to the key elements.
- Familiarity with electronic data systems and data collection, working knowledge of digital forensic investigation techniques.
- Legal, Contracting & Procurement, Finance, IT, or project management skills would be an advantage.
- Significant personal credibility and integrity. Handling of highly sensitive information.
- Highly collaborative; an open individual with the highest level of integrity and loyalty who can work successfully with multi-disciplinary, multi-national teams/stakeholders.
- Mature, self-assured, energetic, and self-motivated with a strong business-focused mindset. Solution driven with a pragmatic approach.
- Must be able to build and maintain credibility when operating at the most senior levels of the organization.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered (e.g., part-time, job share).
About Shell UK
Shell is an international energy company that aims to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. It is one of the world’s largest independent energy companies, operating in more than 70 countries.
Shell has a global target to become a net zero emissions energy business by 2050. This means that Shell aims to be net zero on all emissions generated by its operations and the energy needed to power them. The company is working with customers, business, and governments to address emissions across different sectors.
In March 2022, Shell UK announced an ambition to invest between £20 to £25 billion in the UK energy system over the next decade, more than 75% of which is intended for low and zero-carbon products and services including offshore wind, hydrogen, and electric mobility. These investments, which are subject to board approval, aim to propel the UK closer to net zero whilst intending to stimulate economic growth and jobs.
Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are one of the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.