Risk Engr. & Insurance Advisor
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
As one of the world's leading energy companies, Shell has a key role in helping to meet the growing energy needs of the world in an economically, environmentally, and socially responsible manner. Risk and Insurance touches all aspects of Shell's business operations and the discipline has an important role to play in the energy transition. This role provides an opportunity to work in a multi-cultural team of risk managers accountable for delivering risk management and insurance solutions to Shell businesses globally.
Where you fit in
We are currently searching for a risk and insurance professional to join the Risk Management team in Group Treasury. The team consists of 9 Risk Managers and operates on a global scale across all Shell businesses (e.g. Upstream, Downstream, Integrated Gas & Renewable Energy Solutions). This role will be reporting to the Risk Management Team Lead.
What’s the role?
In this role you will provide expert Risk Management and Insurance advice and solutions to Shell businesses and Joint Ventures across all aspects of Shell's operations.
Activities in this role include:
- Identifying, quantifying, and mitigating hazard risk through a combination of risk management and insurance solutions
- Developing & maintaining tools to measure and price hazard risk across the Shell portfolio and managing annual risk and insurance site survey programme
- Performing risk aggregation analysis and helping to develop an approach to climate change impact assessments
- Structuring and implementing risk management and insurance strategies for large and complex – wholly owned or joint ventures – business, including support in mergers, acquisitions, and divestments
- Designing and implementing construction insurance programmes for large capital projects, mostly in close consultation with joint venture partners as well as major contractors
- Providing advice on the allocation of hazard risks in contracts with joint venture partners, suppliers, and customers
- Supporting Shell’s Group Insurance Companies and the annual insurance renewal programme
- Proactive communication of issues and agreement of appropriate standards/courses of action with senior management at joint venture shareholder level, contract boards, risk managers of other partners and contractors.
- Ideally the candidate also has experience in risk engineering to complement the team’s collective skillset as the individual will have additional responsibility to help shape the risk engineering service which the team provides (directly or via service providers).
What we need from you?
We are keen to hear from candidates who have a degree in Engineering, Finance, Law, or Economics and have practical knowledge and significant experience of the insurance market and products. You have a professional qualification in Risk Management or Insurance (e.g. CII) and are familiar with legal liability concepts.
You are a highly motivated self-starter, with good interpersonal and influencing skills who can operate effectively across organisational boundaries in an international context. The role involves regular engagement with different external and internal stakeholders across different businesses, functions and levels in the organization. The ability to set and manage priorities, influence and persuade stakeholders at senior levels (both internal and external to Shell) is critical to succeed in this role.
You have a commercial mindset with a good track record of delivery, which includes identifying and driving change with a focus on continuous improvement.
Some travel may be required but typically travel does not exceed more than 2 weeks a year.
The current working pattern for the team is 2-3 days from the office, working from home for the remaining days. Flexible working arrangements can be considered.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
About Shell in UK
Shell is an international energy company that aims to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. It is one of the world’s largest independent energy companies, operating in more than 70 countries.
Shell has a global target to become a net zero emissions energy business by 2050. This means that Shell aims to be net zero on all emissions generated by its operations and the energy needed to power them. The company is working with customers, business, and governments to address emissions across different sectors.
In March 2022, Shell UK announced an ambition to invest between £20 to £25 billion in the UK energy system over the next decade, more than 75% of which is intended for low and zero-carbon products and services including offshore wind, hydrogen, and electric mobility. These investments, which are subject to board approval, aim to propel the UK closer to net zero whilst intending to stimulate economic growth and jobs.
Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are one of the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.