Community Relations Mngr Pernis/Moerdijk
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
The world is changing fast, and Shell is changing, too – not only to keep up with the external pace, but also to anticipate and shape a different future. This is a great role for anyone who wants to be acting at the heart of the energy transition, with a strong external focus, contributing to concrete projects and being a good (industrial) neighbour.
The Community Relations Manager (Social Performance Adviser) manages the impacts of our activities on the communities and societies in which we operate. Because how we manage these impacts, affects the wellbeing of our neighbours - and ultimately of Shell’s business.
Where you fit in
This role sits within the Downstream team within Corporate Relations (CR) Netherlands. The Community Relations Manager (Social Performance Adviser) reports into the Corporate Relations Manager Downstream. You will work in close interaction with Corporate Relations Netherlands and your counterparts from around the globe. The local communities around Shell’s industrial assets in the Netherlands are your most important external stakeholders.
What’s the role?
The vast steel installations, the enormity of the complexes and the fences of Shell Energy and Chemicals Park Rotterdam (Shell Pernis) and Shell Chemicals Park Moerdijk not necessarily look very hospitable to the outside world. It can therefore be difficult for local stakeholders to reach out to Shell. And sometimes, it can be hard for the site leadership too to know what can be done to help and understand the neighbouring communities. In this role, it is your job to bring down those barriers and build shared understanding and a healthy relationship.
Your goal is to protect and strengthen Shell’s local Societal License to operate. You do that by securing Social Performance and Social Investment in the purpose and overall narrative (for internal and external communication). Looking at our operations with a community lens, and understanding the importance of bringing the outside in. What is important to our neighbours, staff, and other stakeholders? In order to do this well, you as a person need to be outgoing, sympathetic, open to dialogue, transparent and hospitable.
The role provides a lot of freedom in shaping and developing Social Performance for (the local communities around) Shell Energy and Chemicals Park Rotterdam and Shell Chemicals Park Moerdijk. The role is externally focused and will centre around collaboration with community stakeholder groups and individuals to build support for the industry and for the energy transition. You will be required to work closely with the Site Leadership Teams, notably the General Managers.
What are your responsibilities?
- Manage local community engagement and social performance for existing business and energy transition projects
- Provide non-technical risk (NTR) expertise with stakeholder insights and intelligence
- Build, engage and cultivate partnerships with relevant local external stakeholders in government, NGOs, businesses, and other organisations
- Own active relationships with local stakeholders, which include but are not limited to being Secretary to the Neighbour Advisory Council and managing Social Performance programmes
- Manage Social Investment/donations
- Further develop the internal Ambassadors network
- In case of an incident: be part of the emergency response team and work closely together in coordinating all communications to various internal and external stakeholders during the time of/concerning the incident
- Share lessons and approaches with the global Social Performance community
- Support and host delegation-visits to the increasing number of Shell energy transition project and asset sites in the Netherlands.
- Address and manage social impacts with Corporate Relations colleagues, other functions and asset/project teams, and define clear management, mitigation, and enhancement measures
- Manage Social Impact Assessments in projects
- Manage and/or coordinate the implementation, monitoring and measurement of Social Investment activities (donations) and ensure timely reporting of outcomes
- Coach others in Social Performance areas, participate in (global, national, and local) networks
- Manage community feedback; monitor and report performance
- Support, coordinate or manage assurance activities
What we need from you?
- Have a keen interest in people
- Find out what’s important to the communities around us
- Easily connect with internal and external stakeholders; be capable of dealing with stakeholders at all levels
- Be a self-starting, decisive, result-driven individual, persistent and with track record of teamwork
- Be curious: bring the outside in; assess and adapt practices from other organisations, industries, or countries
What experience are we looking for?
- Significant amount of years of relevant work experience
- Strategic Social Performance counsel and support to the business to meet their objectives, and maintain and grow societal license to operate
- Stakeholder engagement
- Assessment of the social environment identifying Social Performance opportunities and risks
- Understanding energy transition strategies of municipalities and partners is a benefit
- Collaborating and influencing business decisions
- Good writing skills, strong inter-personal skills, and a good communicator even in a crisis situation
- Native Dutch and good command of English both written and spoken.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in an industry in transition
- A high degree of autonomy – you can “run your own shop”
- Working with enthusiastic, passionate colleagues
- Work alongside, and getting a taste of, the most exciting businesses inside Shell
- A broad in- and external network
- An opportunity to develop your communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- You can hit the ground running: a lot of activities and programmes are live
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
More about Shell in the Netherlands
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.