IT Trade Compliance SME
Royal Dutch Shell
Information Technology (IT)
Job Family Group:
April 17, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
At Shell, we believe in honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Doing the right thing is good business and we feel free to speak up when we see something wrong. We empower people to do the right thing, even if difficult, even if nobody is watching.
Where you fit in
The Trade Compliance (sanctions, import and export) environment is dynamic, increasingly complex and more frequently being used as a foreign policy tool. Ensuring Shell complies with all regulatory expectations is a fundamental principle of how we do business and at the heart of growing trust in Shell and living our values.
As Information Digital & Technology (IDT) Trade Compliance Subject Matter Expert (SME), you will form part of the IDT Trade Compliance team, reporting to the IDT Trade Compliance Manager. You will provide SME guidance to a 30+ IDT Technical Classification Experts (TCE) natural team and will be responsible for IDT Trade Compliance within an IDT portfolio for Downstream, Projects and Technology & Upstream, Global Functions & Information Risk Management (IRM), or Integrated Gas (IG) & Renewable Energy Solutions (RES).
You will provide support and guidance to ensure that Shell operates in a compliant manner and thus avoids any regional or international sanctions being imposed on the company. You will provide SME guidance to the IDT Technical Classification Experts (TCE) network, and work with Ethics and Compliance Trade Control Managers to assess, implement and operate processes, procedures, controls, and assurances to ensure the adequate design and operating effectiveness of our Trade Compliance control responses. You will work closely with the Senior Stakeholders at VP level of the Line of Business (LOB) portfolio you represent.
What’s the role?
As IDT Trade Compliance SME, you will be responsible for maintaining and operating processes and procedures to ensure effective operation of the Trade Compliance Control Framework for your respective IDT portfolio. The key focus areas of the role include:
- Provide subject matter expertise for relevant Trade Compliance topics to support the implementation of local first line of defence (LOD1) guidance and Standard Operating Procedures enabling local, regional and global IDT compliance
- Operate and consistently improve LOD1 rules and corresponding controls and quality assurance in IDT. Align to and coordinate with LOD2 process and control within the Shell Ethics and Compliance Office (dotted line to Shell Ethics and Compliance Officer in SECO)
- create and maintain effective stakeholder relationships with business leaders across IDT (such as Contracts & Procurement and Shell Ethics and Compliance Officer (SECO)), and with the TCE network supporting Projects & Technology (P&T)
- strengthen a culture of compliance through the implementation of effective training, communication, swift and effective intervention as required, and support
What we need from you
To deliver this challenging agenda, candidates will bring knowledge of Trade Compliance subject matters, business knowledge, and proven stakeholder management. We are thus keen to hear from candidates with skills and proven capability in:
- Proven working years’ experience in Trade Compliance matters in Technology Digital Space.
- Knowledge of UK, EU and US Trade Compliance (including sanctions, import and export controls) laws and regulations, as well as the relevant international trade compliance regulations of technology program areas
- Broad understanding of the key domain risks, exposure to and professional development associated with Trade Compliance activities, especially within Sanctions, Import and Export Controls related risks, and their impacts across multinational organisations and IDT departments specifically
- Prior experience in controls, governance, risk, and assurance and a sound knowledge of the Shell Control Framework, with the ability to articulate risk, controls and assurance principles in both technical and non-technical language
- Understanding of the improvements needed to the existing Trade Compliance Control Framework and knowledge of how to map out the steps needed to be taken to deliver these in an effective and efficient manner
- An innovation mindset through monitoring the external Trade Compliance landscape by keeping abreast with landmark publications, newsletters, attending conferences and summits, coupled with the capability of compiling and translating the key external findings into actionable insights for the natural team and Business partners
- Comprehensive expectation management skills and ability of influencing delivery through others, by being a proven trusted advisor capable of providing subject-matter guidance and driving the Trade Compliance fundamental goals and priorities of the IDT portfolio
- Maintain Trade Compliance (TC) competencies through periodic attendance at external courses and conferences
- Expertise in Energy, Oil & Gas Trade Compliance would be an advantage
- Professional qualifications in Trade Compliance, Law and Financial Crime are advantageous, educational background in a relevant subject, such as International Trade and Law, is preferredCertification in Trade Compliance from International Regulatory Institutes (BIS)
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There has never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you will be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- we are creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we will take it from there.
- we are closing the gender gap – whether that is through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- we are striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- we consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. IDT is committed to supporting flexible working arrangements where feasible and subject to applicable policy, regulations and legislative frameworks. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We are huge advocates for career development. We will encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.