Control Application Engineer
Royal Dutch Shell
Job Family Group:
Posting Start Date:
Where you fit in?
The Shell Energy & Chemicals Park Rotterdam (Pernis) is a great place to work. This Control Application Engineer role will be both challenging and rewarding, providing many growth and development opportunities for employees who are looking to apply, deepen and broaden their personal and technical skills in a dynamic and diverse organisation. This role is for employees who would like to play the key role in providing direct plant support, including solving exciting and real challenges with a direct impact on plant availability and margin.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Purpose and Accountabilities:
Within the Shell Energy and Chemicals Park Rotterdam (Pernis), the Process Control and Systems department is responsible for engineering, assurance, maintenance and supporting the production units with process control applications and control systems in all phases of the lifecycle. Within the department Control Application Engineers are supporting the Production Units by ensuring availability of their control systems (DCS) and safeguarding systems (SIS), implementing changes and assisting colleagues, e.g. from the maintenance department. You work in a team assigned to two or three Production Units. The Control Application Engineer is responsible for:
- Ensure the safety and reliability of the process control/distributed control systems (DCS) of your Production Unit(s);
- Ensure the cybersecurity of process control and IT systems of your Production Unit(s);
- Daily maintenance of systems. This includes analysis of issues and problems and, implementing hardware and software changes;
- Interact with, and supervise engineers of our suppliers and contractor personnel working on your systems;
- Where needed seek assistance and work with central specialist and maintenance teams;
- Support projects and plant changes from a control and systems perspective: assess the impact on your systems and advise on the best approach. Once changes are implemented, you perform (supervision of) validation and commissioning of new functionality. For larger projects you work together with the project team(s);
- Participate in investigations after incidents;
- Support our asset integrity master planning to ensure our systems stay up-to-date and receive support from our leadership.
The Control Application Engineer works in a team of up to four Control Application Engineers and up to four Process Control Technologists. Together you work to support two or three Production Units. Key stakeholders on site are Operators of your Production Unit, colleagues from Maintenance and QMI, Production Specialists and the colleagues from the other teams in Process Control and Systems department.
Skills & Requirements:
- Demonstrable working experience and/or an education in process automation (e.g., Bachelor Electrical with a Mechatronics minor, Industrial Automation or Control Systems Engineering).
- Knowledge and experience with at least one of the DCS systems used on our site, e.g., Honeywell TDC3000/Experion or Schneider Foxboro DCS;
- Affinity with IT and Process Automation systems;
- Fluent in English and Dutch (written and oral);
- Proven team worker with positive and open attitude.
The selected candidate should be able to speak Dutch or willing to learn the basics in order to communicate effectively with operational staff and interpret site documents.
This job offers an excellent development opportunity as you can develop yourself in various technical roles within the Process Control/Automation and IT field of work as you work in an environment with many talented and experienced colleagues to learn from.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.