Senior Researcher, HPC
Royal Dutch Shell
Research and Development
Job Family Group:
April 3, 2023
Posting Start Date:
Projects and Technology
JOB TITLE: Senior Researcher – HPC
Be part of something big and join our growing team of innovative HPC-AI researchers at Shell. We're on a mission to lead the energy transition to a lower carbon future, and we need talented people like you to help us get there.
Where you fit
- The opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology leveraging HPC & AI to solve challenging business problems in energy transition.
- The chance to collaborate with a team of accomplished software engineers, researchers, and domain experts to drive positive long-lasting societal impact.
- Work on projects driving strategic partnerships with best minds at top academic institutions globally and leading technology companies.
- Access to state-of-the-art HPC facilities and resources.
- Stay up to date with the latest advancements in HPC and AI technologies.
- Publish your innovations at best conferences and journals.
What’s the role?
Your focus is on the delivery of faster and better business decisions through computational and digital innovations. The team relies heavily on its depth of expertise in High Performance Computing. Your work will consist of building new capabilities and improving existing computational and digital workflows, by leveraging both software and hardware technologies.
Your responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain a roadmap for High Performance Computing capability in Shell, identifying problems worth solving.
- Mature and deliver identified opportunities per roadmap, developing strategic relationships with Shell Businesses.
- Create an ecosystem of external partners (start-ups, academia, industry, …) for research and development in the area of High-Performance Computing.
- Develop new capabilities at the convergence of HPC, AI and domain science.
- Build deep understanding of the next generation HPC technologies (software and hardware) and their impact on Shell workflows and application.
What we need from you
- We’re keen to hear from individuals with either a bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree, or PHD in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent from a leading university with minimum 10 years working experience.
- Development experience with one or more HPC accelerator programming environments such as GPUs, FPGAs etc.
- Demonstrated experience with performance optimization of scientific applications or AI workflows.
- Knowledge of modern HPC systems, CPU/GPU architectures and execution models.
- Strong programming knowledge of C/C++/Python/Fortran/Java.
- Experience with software development tools and version control systems.
- Good research publications record at top tier conferences.
- Understanding of deep learning/machine vision/natural language processing/physics informed neural networks is a plus.
- Programming experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Pytorch etc. is a plus.
- External focus is essential, proven experience of strategic engagement with key partners is highly desirable.
- Strong stakeholder management, interpersonal skills and influencing skills.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.