Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Software Engineer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
Job Description Summary:The Senior Software Engineer designs, develops, troubleshoots, debugs, and sets the direction for the design and implementation of software features/functionality/enhancements, correction of defects, and/or the creation of new products. Develops software tools including operating systems, compilers, routers, networks, utilities, databases, and Internet-related tools. Determines software’s compatibility with hardware and/or influences software's design in relation to hardware.
Position Reports to: Manager, Software Engineering
The Senior Software Engineer designs, develops, troubleshoots, debugs, and sets the direction for the design and implementation of software features/functionality/enhancements, correction of defects, and/or the creation of new products. Develops software tools including operating systems, compilers, routers, networks, utilities, databases, and Internet-related tools. Determines software’s compatibility with hardware and/or influences software's design in relation to hardware.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand end-user requirements.
- Write commercial/enterprise-grade software.
- Provide input on designs for software enhancements and new products.
- Ability to identify the presence of code problems & bring to attention to senior engineers for resolution.
- Document and communicate on technical topics without direction.
- Seek to shadow other Engineers; working to debug customer issues.
- Work under limited direction of a manager and/or team lead to implement software enhancements, correct defects, and/or create new products.
- Understand hardware and software systems.
- Proficient at programming while working in a team.
- Works well in a team. Team-oriented, collaborative, accountable, dependable.
- Self-directed learning of the application subject matter
- Exercises curiosity
- Experienced engineer (> 8 years) in software/systems development
- Understanding of Mainframe and its components
- Proven track record of software development in the real world
- DB2 knowledge is required.
- Proficient in one or more programming languages – HLASM, REXX, JCL, PLX/PL1
- Good knowledge of – zOS, Time Sharing Options (TSO), ISPF
- Understands hardware and software systems
- Work as individual contributor
- Time management and prioritization of work
- Fluent in English
- Can do attitude
- Curious and asks "why"
- Experience with Mainframe DB2, CICS, Git, JIRA, SCLM, QMF
- Experience with SMP process
- Working experience in Agile environment
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or related field
Willingness to teach and grow junior team members
Excellent listening skills
Effectively works within the team and across teams
Ensures all tasks are completed thoroughly and that any work done is tested, unit tested, documented, and ready for customers
Takes identified problems and concerns and create a plan to fix the problem and prevent it from occurring again
Follows through on all tasks
Reliably delivers expected work products and outcomes
Imparts a sense of urgency on junior team members
8+ years of software engineering experience
Mastery of data structures and algorithms.
Able to select data structures and algorithms to solve technical problems.
Able to write high-quality code rapidly.
Able to present a track record of solving problems of increasing complexity
Good understanding of trade-offs in solving problems that have variable levels of complexity.
Deep understanding of memory allocation and management mechanism, security mechanisms, processing allocation mechanisms of target operating systems.
Writes code faster than the average developer.
Outstanding quality with few bugs in generated code.
Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Job Family Group: Engineering
Job Family: Software & Quality Assurance Engineering
Job Profile Name: Senior Software Engineer
Employee Type:Individual Contributor
Job Level: P4 (Advanced)
Rocket Software Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Rocket Software Inc. is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Rocket is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please call: 781-577-4321 or send an email to email@example.com. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!