Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Software Engineer - Assembler Developer
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
Job Description Summary:The Senior Software Engineer designs, develops, troubleshoots, debugs, and sets the direction for the design and implementation of software features/functionality/enhancements, correction of defects, and/or the creation of new products. Develops software tools including operating systems, compilers, routers, networks, utilities, databases, and Internet-related tools. Determines software’s compatibility with hardware and/or influences software's design in relation to hardware.
Position Reports to: Manager, Software Engineering
The Senior Software Engineer designs, develops, troubleshoots, debugs, and sets the direction for the design and implementation of software features/functionality/enhancements, correction of defects, and/or the creation of new products. Develops software tools including operating systems, compilers, routers, networks, utilities, databases, and Internet-related tools. Determines software’s compatibility with hardware and/or influences software's design in relation to hardware.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Review and provide feedback on designs.
Takes ownership of the design and development of features within their component.
Recognizes and practically solves for anti-patterns.
Good understanding of how his/her work aligns with high-level use cases and team deliverables.
Define (more than a feature, less than a product) a component that fits into an architecture.
Describe and defend design decisions for components owned by the team.
Optimize software design to leverage platform capabilities.
Acts as the technical subject matter expert for a product domain.
Quantify and communicate work estimates and risks to direct management
Handle multiple competing priorities with minimal help
Understand features as a whole and able to break down larger stories and features into tasks
Familiar with most of the technologies we focus on and what markets they target
Takes ownership of customer issues and effectively communicate with Support/SEs to resolve field questions/issues
Discuss with customers what larger concerns and problems they are trying to solve, over and above the immediate technical concerns
Willingness to teach and grow junior team members
Excellent listening skills
Effectively works within the team and across teams
Ensures all tasks are completed thoroughly and that any work done is tested, unit tested, documented, and ready for customers
Takes identified problems and concerns and create a plan to fix the problem and prevent it from occurring again
Follows through on all tasks
Reliably delivers expected work products and outcomes
Imparts a sense of urgency on junior team members
- Work Experience: 8 to 14 Year.
- Candidate must have Mainframe Assembler Programming and C experience preferably in a software vendor environment.
- It is desirable to have experience working with SMF, Subsystem Interfaces, data spaces, and EXCP.
Applied knowledge or z/series I/O technology and z/OS implementation to include:
- In-depth knowledge of z/OS DASD and Tape systems configurations
- Knowledge of EXCP, Channel Programs and IO traces.
- Applied Knowledge of Dataspaces, use of Coupling Facility structures and XCF; IP Socket layer communications including SNMP, SMTP
- Applied knowledge of z/OS TSO/E REXX
- Applied knowledge of z/OS UNIX System Services
- Applied knowledge of z/OS V2R2 ISPF Dialog development
- Web Development experience
- Strong English communication skills
- Exposure to z/VSE Environment
- Commercial software vendor experience
- Applied knowledge of IBM z/OS; experience using ISPF, SDSF, JCL and SMP/e
- Applied knowledge of Advanced system-level z/OS Assembler (HLASM) Programming skills
- Applied knowledge of Advanced system-level z/OS C programming
- Advanced z/OS system level diagnostics, problem determination and debugging with experience in the use of z/OS console commands, IPCS and XDC
- Applied knowledge of IBM z/OS Assembler Programming - using 24, 31, and 64-bit memory models
- Applied knowledge of IBM z/OS Authorized Assembler Services
- Demonstrable skills in debugging multi-tasking, multi-address space environments
Writes code faster than the average developer.
Outstanding quality with few bugs in generated code.
Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Job Family Group: Engineering
Job Family: Software & Quality Assurance Engineering
Job Profile Name: Senior Software Engineer
Employee Type:Individual Contributor
Job Level: P4 (Advanced)
Rocket Software Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Rocket Software Inc. is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Rocket is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please call: 781-577-4321 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!