Manager: Science Academic Discipline Market Development Team
- Job: 31053-TREM
MathWorks is looking for an experienced leader to manage a technical team focused on developing and executing the market strategy to increase the adoption of MATLAB in scientific disciplines such as Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, and more. If you have experience with MATLAB in one or more scientific disciplines and are passionate about leading a team that will drive MATLAB adoption in natural and applied sciences, this is the role for you.
As the manager of the Sciences Academic Disciplines Market Development team, you will lead the MathWorks technical team dedicated to setting the market development strategy for MATLAB in natural and applied sciences worldwide. You will provide strong leadership, coaching, guidance to your team members and empower them to succeed in a dynamic marketplace with complex challenges and opportunities. You will deploy your passion for MATLAB by working directly with key researchers and faculty and establish MATLAB in their research and teaching work in collaboration with Customer Success Engineering, Sales, Marketing and Development groups at MathWorks. Through these efforts you will shape how scientific researchers and faculty perceive MATLAB and champion the impact of trends in science research and academia on overall MathWorks business.
1. Lead the technical team focused on driving market and account development activities in natural and applied sciences
- Coach and guide individuals with domain experience in natural and applied science disciplines, and passion for MATLAB, into being a strong and impactful market development team.
- Visit strategic customers with your team members to understand the use of MATLAB in their research or teaching work and develop a shared vision and commitment for the adoption of MATLAB in their work.
- Model the way for your team members by creating and executing the market development strategy for your own natural and applied sciences discipline.
- Build and nurture relationships with decision makers at key institutions in partnership with your team and coach them to do the same.
- Engage with key influencers in the scientific innovation ecosystem of research institutions, universities, and companies and enlist them as advocates for the use of MATLAB in teaching and research.
- Actively monitor progress of contacts, opportunities, funnel, and usage at targeted institutions to achieve goals for broadening and deepening adoption and usage of MATLAB and adjust investments in customer engagements as necessary.
- Work with Education Customer Success Engineering (CSE) managers at MathWorks to evolve the engagement model for how your team and the CSE team can collaborate on joint projects and customer facing engagements.
- Engage with funding agencies, consortiums, and others to help them understand the role of MATLAB in supporting their goals.
2. Collaborate with Education Business managers in executing the business strategy for growing the natural and applied sciences market
- Work with the Worldwide Education Business manager, CSE managers, Marketing and Development leads to drive alignment between their business plan and the sciences academic disciplines market development plans.
- Deliver papers and presentations at appropriate conferences and speak with analysts, editors and journalists to promote MATLAB.
- Synthesize your team’s customer facing experiences into trends in scientific research and academia and advocate for the impact of those on MathWorks product plans.
- A bachelor's degree and 7 years of professional work experience (or equivalent experience) is required. 2 years management experience is required.
- PhD degree in relevant natural and applied science disciplines
- At least 7 years of management and leadership experience, building and coaching teams for high performance.
- Strong knowledge of and firsthand experience with MATLAB for scientific computing applications, modeling and simulation, data analysis, algorithm and application development.
- Market development experience or experience supporting sales and engaging with customers as a sales engineer or applications engineer at a global technical software company
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- 15+ years of experience in research or teaching activities in natural and applied sciences at leading research institutions or universities.
Additional experiences important to the position:
- Experience as a professor or postdoc, developing proposals and securing research grants, or developing course curriculum.
- Strong business acumen and ability to work cross-functionally on complex projects and deliver results.
- Prior employment with a global software company involved in scientific computing, data analysis and/or modeling and simulation tools.
This position will be based in Natick, MA. The candidate should expect to travel about 25% of the time. This position has a worldwide responsibility, so travel will have an international component as well.