Compensation ConsultantBoston, Massachusetts Human Resources Job ID R14186
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
Here in our Human Resources organization at MassMutual, our mission is to create a workplace of choice where innovative, diverse and exceptional people thrive together. To help us to achieve this mission, we have a current opportunity for a Compensation Consultant in either our Boston Seaport office or in our corporate home office in Springfield, MA. As a Compensation Consultant you will be a key member of our team as you develop, coordinate, and administer a variety of programs and activities covering multiple broad-based compensation related activities. You will be responsible for providing strategic consultation to assigned business groups, partnering across Human Resources to align guidance and solutions with business needs and talent strategies. As a Compensation Consultant, you will need to have strong analytical ability, judgment, and communication skills and will have experience in one or more areas of compensation.
Our Total Rewards team is comprised of a tight-knit group of collaborative professionals. The team’s strengths lie with their communication and analytical skills with a strong focus on attention to detail. As a Compensation Consultant you will be an integral member of the team and be relied upon to not only support your assigned business areas, but also contribute to cross-enterprise initiatives. Our team members enjoy a hybrid schedule, combining in person office time three days a week with the flexibility of being able to work from home as well. As a Compensation Consultant you will also work to build relationships with our other center of excellence teams across HR including our HR consulting team, Talent Acquisition and Talent Management teams.
As a Compensation Consultant you will help influence our go-forward compensation strategy. You will need to balance understanding of our enterprise compensation strategy along with more individualized plans based on the specific business areas you will support. You will have impact on the overall organization through, but not limited to, the below responsibilities:
Provide compensation expertise through consultation on administration of pay practices with an eye towards market competitiveness and compliance (pay equity, FLSA). Contribute to ongoing education of managers and HR partners (on individual basis and through broad training offerings). Lead ongoing evaluation and development of internal job catalog for assigned client group(s) (e.g., compensation grade review, new role creation, market match validation) based on external market and MassMutual business acumen. Provide thought partnership on job and organizational design including aspects like role leveling, classification, and market pricing. Develop customized solutions aligned to our compensation philosophy on a variety of total compensation issues, including overseeing development of offers and setting compensation rates, generally at the mid-management level and above. Lead ongoing evaluation of annual compensation planning practices to recommend and drive improvements (systems, communication, philosophy); Partner with HRIS and People Analytics teams on the management of the year-end process with regards to Workday enhancements and reporting and analysis; lead, coach and educate assigned business group leaders and HR partners on making comp decisions aligned to our comp philosophy and people strategy. Collaborate with Sales Leadership to design and maintain sales incentive plans for specific business areas/roles based on strategic business objectives. Provide ongoing support of the Enterprise’s recognition programs to help drive engagement. Identify, analyze, and address service issues; recommend and implement short- and long-term corrections to remediate them. Proactively recommend, develop, and implement enhancements to compensation programs in support of the organization’s reward strategy. Complete general administration tasks and compensation approvals via Workday: Review, research, and approve promotions, off-cycle adjustments, new hire offers, etc. Creativity and problem-solving skills are required as this position may be involved in various projects intended to solve specific HR or compensation related issues to provide subject matter expertise and guidance. Interact with internal and subsidiary HR teams, corporate business areas, vendors and consultants, as needed. Manage broad projects on as-needed-basis from initial concept through implementation, ensuring they are delivered on time and on budget.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of Human Resources experience, with 5+ years of compensation experience
The Ideal Qualifications
- CCP, GRP, CECP, or CSCP certification.
- Experience managing compensation programs in large organization across diverse functions and levels.
- Experience with HRIS systems, specifically Workday
- Strong collaborative working style
- Effective time management and organization skills.
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Proven focus on continuous improvement and efficiencies beyond own scope of responsibility.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills; ability to identify, evaluate, interpret, and organize data
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated focus on client service and business acumen
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Compensation team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, Veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.