As a Sourcing Lead on our team, you will be given the challenge of leading the sourcing management of our direct mechanical suppliers who produce Markforged’s hardware systems and products. You will work with our mechanical supply base, including metal fabrication, machining, and plastic molding suppliers to bring exciting products and materials to our customers. You’ll also work closely with our Operations Engineering, Quality and Supply Chain teams to support our contracting manufacturers in supporting our business needs and continuously improving our methods and processes as we continue to scale.
The ideal candidate will bring strong strategic sourcing experience with mechanical supply partners in a technical product environment. We’re looking for advanced mechanical category sourcing experience, strong communication and organizational ability, and a strong purchasing and sourcing foundation, ideally in a growing and scaling production environment. This individual needs to be self-motivated, bring strong experience with major supply partner management and category management, and be willing to learn and adapt in a fast-paced organization.
What will you own?
- Serve as the primary Sourcing lead with our mechanical supply base to achieve cost, delivery, and quality performance.
- Lead Sourcing efforts for the mechanical category relating to needs assessment, supplier identification, evaluation, bidding, and contracting.
- Develop a capable, scaleable and competitive mechanical supply base to support a scaling and growing business plan.
- Manage Sourcing supply risk efforts with mechanical supply base; including identification of critical risks to our business as well as mitigation plans and strategies.
- Identify and advance cost projects with assigned suppliers to support productivity cost attainment targets and to establish a strong cost savings project pipeline.
- Prioritize and escalate issues threatening or impacting production, and assist in resolution through coordination with internal Markforged teams and personnel as required.
- Develop, secure buy in, and implement sourcing strategies for assigned categories.
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend category suppliers as necessary to support business needs and achieve best value for our business.
- Recommend and initiate projects and process changes leading to continuous improvement in quality, efficiency, inventory, and cost.
- Develop strong supplier relationships and negotiate contracts with supply partners.
- Sourcing strategy throughout the complete life cycle of the products - New Product Introduction (NPI) to Volume Manufacturing and to Product Discontinuance.
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- Passion for progressive strategic sourcing and category management, and progressive advancement within the profession
- At least 5+ years applied experience as a Senior Buyer or Category Manager with category responsibility environment, ideally with an annual $10M+ spend responsibility
- Skilled at contracting with major supply partners and experienced in commercial negotiations and agreement development
- Skilled at supply partner risk analysis and related mitigation strategies
- Experience working with Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality and supply partners to introduce new products and lead continuous improvement projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across internal departments and with external partners
- Experience with Operations best practices such as LEAN, Kaizen, 5S, and Six Sigma
- Comfortable with single-source negotiations, managing conflict, and escalating issues when appropriate
- Highly motivated and organized individual with sharp analytical and process mindset
- Demonstrated cost reduction experience and track record with a range of categories and projects
- Enjoys challenging the status quo and sharing new ideas
- Willing to travel periodically both domestically and internationally
- Thrives in a fast-paced dynamic environment