Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Staff Data Engineer
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
Are you passionate about data? How about leveraging data to drive meaningful impact across a fast growing two-sided marketplace? Have opinions on how to best enable data scientists across a billion-dollar company to do elastic workforce planning or real-time customer lifetime value prediction? Then we should definitely talk!
The Data Technology team at ezCater is growing! As we look towards 2023 and beyond, data is a key strategic component across the company - from advanced, real-time machine learning to business intelligence and data governance. Data is our differentiator and how we will drive real, meaningful impact to the $60+billion Catering industry.
The Data Technology organization is empowering the business in unlocking new opportunities by integrating data and machine learning across our products and business functions. This team is composed of the following specializations: Data Engineering, Machine Learning (ML) Engineering and ML Ops. The Staff Data Engineer will join the Data Engineering team, solving complex data problems across all data teams. The ideal candidate is capable of driving platform, architecture and automation best practices, while also diving deep into specific areas and finding the best path forward. The candidate should be able to take ambiguous business problems and solve them through the power of the data platform. The candidate is expected to pave the path for data teams across various technologies around data ingestion, streaming, transformation, modeling, architecture and governance.
What You’ll Do:
- Accountable for the quality of your data platforms (availability, reliability, resilience, security, etc.) and adherence to consistent standards for engineering excellence
- Understand and drive the architecture of data systems. Clearly communicate quality attributes and risks for that area to multiple audiences
- Partner with stakeholders to drive data needs across: analytics, machine learning, data science, and master data management
- Maximize the impact of technical decisions made within the data domain. Guide managers, technical leaders, and senior data engineers in carefully considering business goals, trade-offs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks prior to committing to design decisions
- Design and develop scalable, maintainable, and reliable data pipelines
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define data requirements, design data models, and implement data solutions that meet business needs
- Identify opportunities to optimize existing parts of our stack and develop strategies to pay down technical debt
- Monitor data systems to ensure quality and availability while seeking to drive down costs
- Coach, mentor and up-skill data engineers in architecture skills and thinking
- Actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust
- Work with engineering leads and Product Managers to define data architecture and build prototypical software stack
- Align data architecture and systems with regulatory requirements, data privacy, and security standards
- Proactively research and understand industry trends on various components of the data platform
What You Have:
- 10+ years of experience in data architecture, data modeling and data management, with specific expertise on scaling data systems
- Experience across modern cloud based data ecosystems. AWS and Snowflake experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of data architecture best practices, data modeling tools, and ELT/ETL processes
- Solid understanding of architectural design patterns and strategies with cloud-based data architecture, data lakes, data lakehouse, data mesh and data warehousing
- Expertise in Python & SQL is required
- A strong understanding of the data SDLC and a desire to improve deployment safety and speed through CI/CD
- Knowledge of workflow automation platforms and tooling like Github Actions or Jenkins
- Ability to create analysis and quick prototypes for different implementation alternatives on data ecosystems
- Our stack is Snowflake, dbt, Fivetran, Airflow, AWS, Sagemaker, MLFlow, Kubernetes + Docker, Monte Carlo, Hightouch and Python for custom ETL and data science integrations. Experience with the above is a nice-to-have, but a desire to learn is a must
- Driver of technical change within an organization
- An open mind and willingness to be flexible. We have a large and complex business, and believe in driving real value out of every project we do
- A sharp mind, a soft heart and a large funny bone
The national cash compensation range for this role is $151,000 - $196,000* per year
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.