Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Principal Data Engineer
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
Are you passionate about data? How about leveraging data to drive meaningful impact across a fast growing two-sided marketplace? Have opinions on how to best enable data scientists across a billion-dollar company to do elastic workforce planning or real-time customer lifetime value prediction? Then we should definitely talk!
The Data Technology team at ezCater is growing! As we look towards 2023 and beyond, data is a key strategic component across the company - from advanced, real-time machine learning to business intelligence and data governance. Data is our differentiator and how we will drive real, meaningful impact to the $60+billion Catering industry.
We are hiring a Senior Data Engineer to join our expanding team in solving complex data and platform challenges to accelerate our growing business. The ideal candidate lives and breathes data while driving systems and architecture best practices. They care about driving business impact through producing solid and efficient infrastructure alongside accurate and performant data. You will have the opportunity to work directly with executive stakeholders as we embark on a massive-scale data modeling effort across the organization, so flexibility and the ability to translate business requests to implementation are key.
What you’ll do:
- Own the technical and architectural direction of our enterprise data warehouse, including: data ingestion, data platform, foundational data, curated data marts and data activation
- Partner with stakeholders to drive data needs across: analytics, machine learning, data science, and master data management
- Provide guidance, technical expertise and reference architecture to our data teams on architecture best practices, standards, methodologies
- Design and lead the development of high-performance data pipelines
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define data requirements, design data models, and implement data solutions that meet business needs
- Align our technology with the goals of the business and strategic objectives
- Monitor data systems to ensure quality and availability while seeking to drive down costs
- Coach, mentor and up-skill data engineers in architecture skills and thinking
- Actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust
- Facilitate technical discussions across teams, organizations, and technology stacks
- Work with engineering leads and Product Managers to define data architecture and build prototypical software stack
- Communicate cross functionally to drive alignment across data, engineering and product
- Align data architecture and systems with regulatory requirements, data privacy, and security standards
- Assist in building data governance processes, policies, and procedures
- Conduct research on emerging technologies and trends in the data & machine learning architecture space and recommend improvements to existing architecture
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for assessment and improvements
What you have:
- 10+ years of experience in data architecture, data modeling and data management, with specific expertise on scaling data systemsExperience across modern cloud based data ecosystems. AWS and Snowflake experience preferredStrong knowledge of data architecture best practices, data modeling tools, and ELT/ETL processesSolid understanding of architectural design patterns and strategies with cloud-based data architecture, data lakes, data lakehouse, data mesh and data warehousingTrack record of technical leadership via collaboration, mentorship, and leveling up teamsAbility to create analysis and quick prototypes for different implementation alternatives on data ecosystems
- Our stack is Snowflake, dbt, Fivetran, Airflow, AWS, Sagemaker, MLFlow, Kubernetes + Docker, Monte Carlo, Hightouch and Python for custom ETL and data science integrations. Experience with the above is a nice-to-have, but a desire to learn is a must.
- A sharp mind, a soft heart and a large funny bone
The national cash compensation range for this role is $163,000 - $197,000* per year
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.