Senior Manager, Machine Learning (Remote)
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
ezCater values technology, particularly data and machine learning, as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
The Data Technology organization is unlocking new opportunities across the business by integrating data and machine learning across our products and business functions. We’re looking for a Senior Manager, reporting directly to the VP of Data Technology, to be primarily responsible for leading and overseeing the development and deployment of machine learning models and algorithms. Through Machine Learning we enable automation at scale that helps improve our product, speed, customer experience and eliminates manual processes across our business.
As a Senior Manager for ML, you will play a key role in shaping the strategic direction of our machine learning initiatives and ensuring their successful implementation. You will be very hands-on, involved in building a robust and scalable self-service ML Platform that enables Data Scientists to develop and operate models at scale. You should have a deep understanding of machine learning techniques, strong leadership skills, and a proven track record of delivering impactful machine learning solutions in a fast-paced environment. In addition to your strategic capabilities, you will be relied on to respond to tactical issues by being the technical backstop for your teams, guiding the teams and leveraging your extended network of relationships across the company to drive resolutions.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for the vision for ML platform and thought leadership on machine learning across the organization.
- Lead the development, validation, and deployment of machine learning models and algorithms business-wide. Work closely with data scientists, engineers, and cross-functional teams to ensure the accuracy, scalability, and reliability of machine learning solutions
- Deliver the portfolio of Machine Learning initiatives, providing technical guidance for the team to formulate the research problem, design experiments and narrow down the solution space, ensuring that the teams are solving the business problems in question.
- Accountable for the quality of your ML platforms (availability, reliability, resilience, security, etc.) and adherence to consistent standards for engineering excellence.
- Define key performance metrics and monitor the performance of machine learning models in production. Identify opportunities for model improvement, optimization, and retraining to ensure sustained accuracy and business impact.
- Collaborate with data engineers and analysts to explore and understand available data sources. Identify relevant features, develop robust feature engineering pipelines, and ensure data quality and integrity for training machine learning models.
- Responsible for developing and growing the ML engineers with responsibilities across ML engineering teams including: team staffing, retention, goal setting / assessment, organizational culture, performance management and execution on strategic initiatives
- Stakeholder management: collaborates with Data Science, Analytics and Architecture to understand business goals, translate them to ML initiatives and set a strategic vision for your teams.
- Should proactively research and understand industry trends in machine learning.
- Responsible for establishing and maturing the model build, test and deployment processes that are consistent across the organization and knowledge of how to improve deployment safety and speed through CI/CD.
- Ensure compliance with relevant data privacy regulations and ethical considerations in machine learning practices. Promote responsible AI and fair practices in all machine learning initiatives.
What You Have:
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas: 7+ years of industry experience in machine learning, data science and experience working with, designing, and building ML platforms at scale. Experience with cloud based platforms and in the tech sector is a plus.
- People Management: 5+ years of experience leading a combination of individual contributors, ranging from entry level to principal engineers, and engineering managers.
- Technical Ownership: Experience in machine learning algorithms and platforms, including experience with deep learning frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.), distributed high performance computing (Hadoop, Spark, etc.), cloud infrastructure on AWS, feature engineering, data preprocessing, and working with large-scale datasets.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Effectively explains technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and business concepts to technical stakeholders. Proactively identifies and addresses information silos.
- Collaboration: Demonstrable track record of building strong cross-functional relationships and integrating a variety of perspectives. Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs, solutions, and strategies.
The national cash compensation range for this role is $199,000 - $237,000 per year.*
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.