Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Software Engineer, Consumer Products
Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
We are hiring for a backend-leaning full-stack engineer in our Marketplace organization to drive our consumer-facing mobile app forward. Marketplace is the core functionality of our business and mobile app is one of our fastest growing business areas!
The Consumer Mobile App team is a nimble team that’s rebuilding and reimagining our entire user experience to help our customers find the perfect car for them, at a fair price. You will have the opportunity to realize this vision, building out mobile-focused APIs to make our app fast, responsive, and flexible. You will be building net-new features for our most engaged audience.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, product managers, data analysts, and UX to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement
- Drive impact forward. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to an A/B test to help determine impact
- Be deeply engaged in the full development lifecycle designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, monitoring and improving software
- Investigate, identify, and implement API performance enhancementsAdvocate for new technology and new methodologies
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
What you'll bring
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred)
- Experience building APIs for consumer-facing applications on cross-functional teams
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose direction
- Experience with A/B testing and/or performance testing
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and storage alternatives
- A strong understanding of data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Experience with mobile apps and/or React is a plus5+ years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.#LI-Hybrid