Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
athenahealth is a progressive, innovation-driven software product company. We partner with healthcare organizations across the care continuum to drive clinical and financial results. Our expert teams build modern technology on an open, connected ecosystem, yielding insights that make a difference for our customers and their patients. We maintain a unique values-driven employee culture and offer a flexible work-life balance. As evidence of our rapid growth and industry leadership, we were acquired by the world’s leading private equity firm “Bain Capital” in 2021 for $17bn! and we have many new strategic product initiatives.
Position Summary: We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Clinicals team within our Bangalore R&D division. Your job will be to build products and services for Clinicals. Help us reach our goal of becoming the healthcare backbone by enhancing our cloud-based EHR solution and leveraging the network effect of 85,400+ providers. Apply your technical skills towards allowing doctors to be doctors so that they can spend more time doing what they do best: provide patient care. But enough about us, let’s talk about you.”.
You are Technologist with zeal to solve complex problems, a growth mindset, fast learners who are willing to work in fast paced environment with total accountability.
Team: athenaClinicals team builds code that matters, working on the beating heart of doctors’ workflows that are used by over 100,000 healthcare providers daily. We build the interface that makes the interactions between these providers and the electronic health record as seamless as possible and elevates what the doctor needs to see when they need to see it. This team is innovative, passionate, and driven by our mission to help make an impact.
- Produce accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications to the appropriate detail.
- Coordinate and troubleshoot complex technical issues until resolution.
- Act as the subject matter expert for an area of assignment
- Identify and reduce manual work through automation by applying a code-first mentality.
- Participate in scrum teams following practices outlined by the team.
- Advise and train members of the team to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness of the team.
- Proactively identify and propose new, alternative technology to create scalable implementations and achieve results.
- Understand and follow engineering conventions, architectures, and best practices.
- Ideally 4+ years of experience in an engineering role.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- Good hands-on experience in Perl.
- Working knowledge of object-oriented programming, relational database technologies, RESTful API, WebUI (HTML 5), and Modern JS frameworks like React is desirable.
- Strong foundation in cloud services such as AWS
- Exposure to one or more of these data stores: Elasticsearch, Oracle, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB is desirable.
- Convert user stories into technical design and deliver working software.
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence with R&D policies on Security, performance, longevity, and Integration testing.
- Estimate the size of development tasks in story points.
- Understand and follow coding conventions, architectures, and best practices.
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.