Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Member of Technical Staff
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
athenahealth is a progressive, innovation-driven software product company. We partner with healthcare organizations across the care continuum to drive clinical and financial results. Our expert teams build modern technology on an open, connected ecosystem, yielding insights that make a difference for our customers and their patients. We maintain a unique values-driven employee culture and offer a flexible work-life balance. As evidence of our rapid growth and industry leadership, we were acquired by the world’s leading private equity firm “Bain Capital” in 2021 for $17bn! and we have many new strategic product initiatives
Team: The Platform Services division within athenahealth is primarily responsible for developing, enhancing, and maintaining all the core foundational components that are required by all other development teams within athenahealth to successfully build their products.
We are seeking a talented developer for one of our Platform teams who could actively contribute to framework development for front-end developers at athenahealth. This team works on developing services and tools that will improve developer productivity and help them build scalable applications.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- 2-4 years of experience in software engineering roles
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Good understanding of concepts like DOM, HTTP, ES6
- An additional bonus would be experience working with AWS or any other cloud provider with knowledge in services like lambda, API Gateway, S3, CloudFront, DynamoDB, or similar.
- Understanding of authentication and authorization in RESTful services
- Strong analytical, research, and exploratory skills
- Unwavering attitude to pursue goals.
- Familiarity with GraphQL is a bonus.
- Familiarity with Docker and containerization is a bonus.
- Working knowledge of React.js is desirable.
- A continuous learning attitude
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence with policies on Security, performance, longevity, and Integration testing
- Estimate the size of development tasks in story points with the goal of 80% accuracy
- Understand and follow coding conventions, architectures, and best practices
- Write, debug, and deploy code to production; deliver timely fixes
- Adhere to DOD (Definition Of Done) as part of the sprint
- Follow the practice of writing unit tests, functional testing
- Participate in peer code reviews in order to ensure quality standards
- Take ownership of bug fixes, perform documentation for features developed, and adhere to best coding practices
Contributions to the Team
- Master the domain knowledge for the area of assignment
- Take ownership of what the team builds after the release; consider customer adoption as success criteria
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness
- Participate and contribute to scrum meetings i.e. daily stand-up, sprint planning, readouts, and retrospectives
- Drive self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
Cross-functional Coordination and Communication
- Work collaboratively across the Technology and Product organizations to ensure alignment toward business goals
- Builds strong relationships with cross-functional team members
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting approaches for different audiences
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.